Open Top Conversions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uberti has a good reputation for quality reproductions. It will most likely perform as you require. I'm wondering why you want the complications of BP style firearms vs. modern? There IS a reason why they're no longer state of the art.

Depends on the animal you're trying to protect yourself from. Those guns are designed to be used with the standard pressure "cowboy load". Perfectly acceptable and effective against two legged critters and small four leggers even to this day. If you're talking bear of any type, the rounds you would want to be using will most likely blow that gun apart, and take parts of you with it. You'll need a ruger, smith, dan Wesson, or freedom arms, perharps a 3rd gen colt to handle the pressure of hot ammo in that cartridge. That type of ammunition comes with warnings emblazoned on the box in all caps about which guns can safely fire it and NAMES THEM by make and year of production.

I'm good with the .45LC, already use it in the 1873 Peacemaker but adding another and like the 1872 Army open top..I see some of the other open tops only available in .38 makes me wonder if .45 is pushing it for this model?

I'm managing my feed station here and with the trail cam on it I feel better with a side arm after seeing the visitors.

I have an Open Top in 38. Got it simply because 38 is cheaper and easier to find. Mine has been 100 percent reliable. Mine is just for killing paper targets though. These do not have a transfer or blocking bar safety so you can only safely carry it with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

Mine is the the 1872 Open Top Navy. They are slightly different than the 1851 or 1860 conversion guns if you look at them side by side. The Open Tops do not have the conversion ring and they have a round barrel, they look more like an 1873 model instead. The sights are also different. What I like is that the gun is about like shooting a 22 in terms of recoil. Spot on with 158 grain wadcutters.

Here is what I have
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/open-top-revolvers/1872-open-top-navy.html

Last edited:
You are correct on the differences. I just always liked the look of brass, so I went with the Navy. I think you will enjoy one if you get it. Uberti does good work. Slightly better fit and finish than Pietta.

so I get the 1872 Army .45LC, at first blush it's put together nice but the screws are burred so I look further and every screw slot is ruptured, like Magilla Gorilla had at it with the wrong sized screwdriver..not acceptable.

e.mailed Benelli and they responded quickly, said I have a R/A send it into the tool shop 7-10..went down to UPS and $74.00 to ship.

opened my El Paso 1849 holster, really sweet except the loop to hold it onto belt is 2.25" not 3.00" as ordered..$12.75 to send back.

really?

Originally Posted By: dblshock
so I get the 1872 Army .45LC, at first blush it's put together nice but the screws are burred so I look further and every screw slot is ruptured, like Magilla Gorilla had at it with the wrong sized screwdriver..not acceptable.

e.mailed Benelli and they responded quickly, said I have a R/A send it into the tool shop 7-10..went down to UPS and $74.00 to ship.

opened my El Paso 1849 holster, really sweet except the loop to hold it onto belt is 2.25" not 3.00" as ordered..$12.75 to send back.

really?

Sorry to hear about the problems. I would have made Beretta USA pay for it as it arrived defective.

Benelli is cool they got back to me pretty quick after I e.mailed them with pics, actually purchased on line with a S.D. dealer to my FFL. I asked for a free screw set aparently that was not acceptable but the R/A was offered,,,my error was telling UPS it was a pistol forcing it to ship next day air for some reason, had I boxed it prior and said nothing of the contents it could have shipped for 80% less I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Benelli is cool they got back to me pretty quick after I e.mailed them with pics, actually purchased on line with a S.D. dealer to my FFL. I asked for a free screw set aparently that was not acceptable but the R/A was offered,,,my error was telling UPS it was a pistol forcing it to ship next day air for some reason, had I boxed it prior and said nothing of the contents it could have shipped for 80% less I'm sure.

If it ever happens again and you are a good customer with your FFL, ask them to ship it for you. They can ship via the USPS for about 25 bucks with their license.

Benelli sent my Open Top back in a week with eight new screws installed...all good for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back