Two Pileups, Same Spot, Same Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article

Seems to be a combination of things here - but second time this week I have been significantly held up from a pileup on I81 through Syracuse.

What gets me is SAME EXACT SPOT. Seems like they would have learned after getting held up for the one on Monday morning.

Combination of a few things - Salt doesn't work (and that's all NYSDOT does now), they don't plow, people feeling over confident in their AWD SUVs with bald tires, people refusing to run tires with any tread, texting.

This is getting frustrating. Tempted to try to move a bit closer to work and pay more in rent so I don't have to deal with this stuff every few days!

It wouldn't be a morning commute here if you didn't see an accident/breakdown/traffic tie up here, easily turning a 1 hour commute into 1.5-2 hours. It sort of makes me happy to be taking public transportation right now, until I have to pay for the ticket. $300 buys a lot of gas and PM.

I'm not sure if you are around Syracuse or have to deal with Centro, but they are pretty limited. In order for me to take centro to work, and get to work on time, I'd have to get on the bus at like 5AM. Would make for a long commute!

I usually check the traffic cams on my way out the door to go to or from work. Unfortunately, this one happened between the time I checked the cams and got on the road.

We had a 31 car pileup last Saturday during our "blizzard." It made the front page of the paper.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
It wouldn't be a morning commute here if you didn't see an accident/breakdown/traffic tie up here, easily turning a 1 hour commute into 1.5-2 hours. It sort of makes me happy to be taking public transportation right now, until I have to pay for the ticket. $300 buys a lot of gas and PM.

How long of a time does a $300 ticket buy?

If I could, Id totally take public transportation, walk, bike etc. I commute 30 miles to school. Public transport isnt here what it is where you are though. Bluntly put and with the exception of our "free" campus buses, it attracts a lot of bums and shady figures.

I've always wondered if its the same lousy drivers wrecking again and again?

I have a 2.2 mile commute to work in a southern climate, love it. I go home for lunch every day, play with my cats, watch some HGTV shows off the DVR, it's great.

I will never live anywhere it snows on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
How long of a time does a $300 ticket buy?

I'm in lower NY, a ways outside of NYC. The local public transportation here isn't what it is in NYC or someplace more urban. We have a local dial a bus (in the next town over) which typically is frequented by those older folks that are not really comfortable or able to drive any longer.

Aside from that, public transportation consists of driving to either a train or a bus stop that runs a some local stops along the trip to NYC, Hoboken, Secaucus, etc. - basically with the goal of getting a commuter into the NY Metro area and the opportunity hop on a Ferry, PATH, Subway to reach a final destination if needed. In my case, $300 gets me a monthly pass for the train. Driving distance from the train station to my job would be ~50 miles, 1 hour if there was no traffic. Traffic and parking makes driving sort of pointless though.

The cost (if I compare the line I take to other coworkers, etc.) however isn't necessarily reflective of the distance or time IMO compared to driving though. I'm lucky enough to have a ride that sort of follows a straight line. I know a couple of people that have to make a switch (or two) in trains just to get to some place that they could take a ferry, PATH, etc. so (for lack of a better example) have spans that run like sides of a triangle. Looking at a map their drive might be 40 miles, maybe 50 minutes no traffic, but their commute runs an hour and a half+, and costs more than mine for just their train. As an aside but for some added comedy if someone has read this far - parking at a train station is another headache for some. I know a few people that said their wait list for a parking pass for the station they wanted was ~9 months and costs another $30 to $40 a month.

Last edited:
I grew up in New Mexico and lived in northwestern Colorado before moving to Nebraska. I don't know how anyone could live where there are so many people. Guess it's what one is acclimated to. Moffat county in Colorado is bigger than some states and largely empty of people. The Hole in the Wall gang(Rain Drops Keep Falling ON MY HEAD) hid out near the confluence of the Yampa and Green rivers near the Colorado,Utah and Wyoming borders. Just an old [censored] reminiscing.

Unfortunately, public transit up here is non existant.

It goes from the bad neighborhoods, to other bad neighborhoods, to downtown and the big mall. Getting from the city to the suburbs (my morning commute) is nearly impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back