Mobil1 AFE 0w-30---5,500 miles---92 Civic VX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, all. So here is the first report I've gotten since a summer of 2013 head-gasket replacement on an older D15Z1. It looks better than before. However, I'm not sure if what is in this sample is just trace remains of coolant or not as this is the 3rd OCI since the job and the first UOA.
21.gif

Also, this is the first time I've seen fuel worth noting in a sample to Blackstone Labs on this engine.

Length of OCI is 7 months, with 1.5 Qts added during the interval.

Oil filter used: Bosch D+ 3312
Air filter used: aFe Pro Dry S (drop-in replacement) Best readings yet!
banana2.gif

Code:
OIL MOBIL1 AFE 0w-30

MILES IN USE 5,500

MILES ON UNIT 287,500

SAMPLE TAKEN 02/10/15

Make Up Oil Added 1.5 qt

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 7

IRON 18

COPPER 8

LEAD 8

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 69

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 6

BORON 44

SILICON 9

SODIUM 37

CALCIUM 1373

MAGNESIUM 540

PHOSPHORUS 614

ZINC 744

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.2

cSt @ 100ºC 9.11

FLASHPOINT ºF 360

FUEL% 1.3%

ANTIFREEZE% ?

WATER% 0.0

INSOLUBLES% 0.3

TBN 2.4

http://i.imgur.com/AjzqiWu.jpg

AjzqiWu.jpg

Please, friend! Friends?!

UPDATE: Blackstone emailed me back. Wouldn't say anything for sure on the fuel % other than not really a problem and it 'might be related to my operation.' The oil was sampled after a 30 minute highway drive, 1 hour of sitting to cool down at a shop I have to use now, and then driving up to the lift once cooled down.

I might just have to send the injectors over to Trav anyway this spring.
thumbsup2.gif

Any thoughts? Maybe still ever so slight coolant entry or just still monitor?

I forgot to include that I converted to Honda Genuine Type-2 blue coolant. Assuming it'd still reading as sodium/potassium in the UOA though right?
21.gif
confused2.gif

I believe the potassium and sodium are just residual considering the high levels seen before the repairs. I would run another similar oci for comparison.

If you hadn't said otherwise, I would have guessed the car had sat dormant for quite some time because of the chromium level. Although your viscosity looks good, I would guess the fuel is what's causing the extra ring and (probably) liner wear. The bearing metals are a little elevated, too but overall I think you're fine to run another 5k and see how things are then.

After more thought...that viscosity seems too good for that much fuel. Maybe the fuel had not been there very long and didn't cause the extra wear (?).

I'm sorry man...so tired that I can't think clearly. Goodnight.

Nice report, I have a '99 Civic with D16Y7 running Amsoil OE 5w30 I would like to do a UOA on. Car currently has 449,000km on Odometer, still runs pretty darn good considering it was not maintained as well as it should have been.

Just checked, 450,000km is 280,000 miles, similar mileage.

Last edited:
What oils were used in the three OCI's before this UOA?

Potassium and Sodium are trending down, but there is also almost 20k miles between the last report. If things are trending down on your next OCI everything is probably ok.

Greetings! Thanks for the replies all. I believe this is just residual, hopefully, after all in terms of the sodium/potassium.

My previous UOAs back before the HG job were:

Valvoline WB + Lubegard additive 10/24/12 (I added the UOA to the thread with Ultra here. )

Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 w/ LM MoS2 06/06/12

Amsoil AZO 0w-30 w/ LM MoS2
grin2.gif
10/01/11

However, since the Valvoline WB UOA listed as most recent UOA and what is not posted before this report:

Max Life full synthetic 5w-30 the winter of 2012.

Then, post-HG job spring/summer of 2013 was refilled with the shop's Valvoline full synthetic.

Jan of 2014 Quaker State UD 5w-30, and finally this Mobil1 AFE 0w-30 filled up July of this past summer.

Not sure off-hand what Quaker State Ultimate Durability has in terms of sodium in their oil or not, but I did a few runs in a row of Valvoline + had some coolant as recent as the OCI ending 2013. So perhaps the remaining sodium is from that previous year.

Therefore, you could say this is only the 2nd OCI without sodium additive of any sort, depending on if QS UD contains any or not.

ADDED: I replaced the distributor during this past fall and also had a coolant leak externally/replaced all hoses at that same time. For a time we didn't drive much for this OCI. So, I'd say for the first 5 months I only drove 3,000 miles and the last 2 months we traveled much more. The cooling leak/hose leak elevated the car's temp when I idled because of course this older car only has a sensor that gets exposed directly to the block when the level drops too low, but I didn't drive it that way. Pulled from idle to park, found the leaking hose, and got it topped off prior to the above said work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back