More weight in winter. Who does it help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now obviously trucks with a significant amount of the weight shifted forward and only RWD should have extra weight in the bed... But what about a smaller AWD car with winter tires?

Pros: should grip more, easily removable

Cons: not sure if that outweighs increased stopping and accelerating distance

Does increased grip really outweigh the cons of extra weight?

If you drive on a flat plane and have to push through deep snow a lot, I could see extra weight helping. But on ice or hard packed snow, the extra weight is only hurting performance. I find with the Tracker, having an extra 1000lbs of people and stuff, does not make driving on snowy cottage roads easier, and I could never drive as hard as I can with just me in it.

With AWD and the right tires, I sincerely doubt you have any problems that extra weight would solve.

On an AWD vehicle (we're talking full time), it wouldn't be needed, because 100% of the weight of the vehicle is over a driven tire.

On a front driver, it's not really possible, but not really as necessary because the weight of the engine, transmission, differential is right over the drive wheels.

Rear drive - most of the weight is not over the drive wheels. Especially on pickups. Though, some manufacturers like Ford seem to be putting the engine under the dash like a van to try to offset the front biased weight distribution.

I have a VERY front heavy, but relatively light, part time 4x4 SUV. I can't just leave it in 4x4 all the time. It will NOT go in 4x2 in the snow, even with good snow tires. I load the back up with junk and it helps a lot. Really surprised! Right now there's 3 or 4 donut spares, a few steel wheels, full sized spare, tools. Few hundred pounds in the back really helped!

@miller

So it's really down to what's over a drive wheel for cars, and extra weight wouldn't help noticeably/at all unless you have RWD?

Originally Posted By: horse123
@miller

So it's really down to what's over a drive wheel for cars, and extra weight wouldn't help noticeably/at all unless you have RWD?

Yup!

You could add some weight to the front of a front driver, and it would help get moving. But a few hundred pounds added to the front of an already front heavy vehicle would make it understeer horribly.

Fat people have more insulation from cold so I'd say thats a major advantage when its -15f(actual temp) out.... with 35mph wind gusts.

@miller

I'd actually go a step further. For FWD and AWD, adding weight is not just unproductive; it's COUNTERproductive. For RWD, adding weight might help but should always be a LAST resort.

As you noted, while adding weight gives with one hand (standing start traction, lazier/more predictable handling), it takes away with the other (worse braking, slower direction change). Getting stuck is annoying, but not being able to stop or turn is dangerous. You should ONLY add weight if the car/truck would be useless otherwise.

Some guys do add weight to some rwd cars for ice racing to make them more balanced and give more drive out of the corners, but that's not exactly normal driving either.
I have considered adding weight to the front of the Focus, just to climb my driveway better in the snow, but its a rare that it snows enough during the day to keep me from being able to drive in after work.

I add 2 50lb sand bags to (the back) my kids FWD Rav4 and it loads the suspension in the rear just enough to keep it from skidding in turns in 2-3 inches of snow. I also added a new set of Firestone Destination LE2 tires. She drives 11 miles each way to school with no problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
@miller

I'd actually go a step further. For FWD and AWD, adding weight is not just unproductive; it's COUNTERproductive. For RWD, adding weight might help but should always be a LAST resort.

As you noted, while adding weight gives with one hand (standing start traction, lazier/more predictable handling), it takes away with the other (worse braking, slower direction change). Getting stuck is annoying, but not being able to stop or turn is dangerous. You should ONLY add weight if the car/truck would be useless otherwise.

Depends on the vehicle and the weather you drive in.

Cars generally have pretty good weight distribution so if you have AWD weight in the trunk won't really help you.

Trucks on the other hand are very front biased especially regular cabs with 8ft beds. So even 4wd trucks benefit from some weight out back in the snow.

More important in my view is having the right tires for the job. Studs for iced over surfaces, chunky sharp edged treads for snow and mud, water dispersing tread patterns for wet roads, slicks for dry smooth surfaces (except that is illegal for road use
smile.gif
).

Claud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back