Engine/Transmission Noise After Spinning In Snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's bad. I'm glad that didn't happen to me. What car is that on? I see you have a 98 Malibu. How do you like your car? I don't have much experience with the 2.4. Only the 3.1.

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy3100
Wow that's bad. I'm glad that didn't happen to me. What car is that on? I see you have a 98 Malibu. How do you like your car? I don't have much experience with the 2.4. Only the 3.1.

It didn't happen to me right away. In fact, it took more than a year for it to pop. I knew something was up when on rare occasions, it wouldn't reverse, in spite of going into gear. That was the cross pin trying to slide out of the carrier, but catching in the case somewhere. It finally found a spot where it could slide out and catch the case with a full head of steam!

Inspection of the cross pin (now in two pieces) and spiders revealed severe scoring, wear and micro welding. I surmise that the spiders welded themselves to the pin while frantically spinning one leg through the snow, braking the retaining pin that holds the cross pin in place.

I got lucky on the replacement transmission- I found one used with only 45k miles on it for $400.00. Of course the R&R was handled by me exclusively, I got away pretty cheap.

As for the 'Bu- that's my wife's car. It's better in most aspects than the '95 Grand Am it replaced. Mileage really isn't the best. To be honest, it's just cheap, dependable transportation. We buy cheap cars, fix them to make them dependable and drive them until they rust out, or we find a better cheap car. This lets us focus on paying off debt. Once we accomplish that and build a healthy surplus of cash, then we'll consider something newer/nicer... maybe.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Does your driveway look like this?

FB_IMG_13604311432165860_zps889d35fd.jpg

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Sorry about your dilemma.

That snowy trip to the store sure milked the transmission for all she's worth!
laugh.gif

I would think that anyone here would know better than to do what you did. Mistake #1 was driving yesterday. Mistake #2 was not clearing your driveway completely. Here in Baltimore the snow was very dry. I was able to shovel it away then sweep it clean, and it was perfectly clean when I was done. Mistake #3 was thinking that you could not go without milk. Your imprudence and laziness are going to really cost you.

God. People really don't have a sense of humor, do they? I mean seriously, I don't have the equipment to clean my driveway. Sure, I have a shovel, but my driveway is 475 feet long so it would take me all day to clear it. I did not hurt anything. All I did was spin in the snow a bit. What's done is done, and there's no need for YOU to complain about it, and I'm not "imprudence" or what ever that is. And I'm not lazy. The road was clear and I've been able to get a run start at it and always made it up. Now, I'm going to be nice and ask you how like all that snow up there? That's too much snow for me! Isn't it suppose to snow again today and over the weekend?

Okay so an update everybody. I drove the car today and the car ran great! Went to the grocery store (got some milk, of course) and it did fine. Checked the fluid also and it was nice and red, and smelled like new fluid.

Forget the car, what are you doing with all this milk? Maybe you should just get a cow.

I drink a lot of milk. I only got 2 gallons between yesterday and today. And no I'm not fat and obese!! I just like milk lol. I'm glad you atleast have a sense of humor!

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy3100
I'm glad you atleast have a sense of humor!

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's a sense of humor or a few cards shy of a full deck. Yaknow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back