Mini 14 Ranch Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally settled down to this rifle, and will have it tomorrow. From what I have read, and with experience with ruger, I assume this will be a nearly perfect rifle for plinking. What are your thoughts?

What ammo would you recommend, it uses a 1:8 twist fyi.

Last edited:
A 1:8 twist will stabilize most bullets up to about 75gr...so you can shoot about anything from this rifle. I have stocked up on XM-193, the 55gr standard ball round. I've found it for about $0.35/round. A good price for plinking ammo. That's what I shoot at the range. Depending on use, you'll want to step up the bullet weight, and you've chosen a good rifle should that be a requirement.

More here: http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/

My buddy has the "target" version with the laminate thumbhole stock and absolutely loves it! Only "issue" is it beats up the scope if you don't use a rail and it ejects the brass like two counties over. There's a fix for the latter however, he simply hasn't done it as he finds it amusing.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My buddy has the "target" version with the laminate thumbhole stock and absolutely loves it! Only "issue" is it beats up the scope if you don't use a rail and it ejects the brass like two counties over. There's a fix for the latter however, he simply hasn't done it as he finds it amusing.
Those target models can only fire commercial .223 and no military spec ammo, from what I have heard. Can anybody here confirm that?

One of the best rifles I own. 75 grain ammo is the limit and it ejects spectacular. They fly!
smile.gif
It's plenty accurate just keep her clean. Mmmmmm M1/14 lineage.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Those target models can only fire commercial .223 and no military spec ammo, from what I have heard. Can anybody here confirm that?

Says .223/5.56 right on it
21.gif

Seems that "vigorous" ejection is a Ruger design imperative. My SR40c can throw empties over 8 feet.

21.gif

Oh, well maybe what I heard isn't true after all!

21.gif

cast the chamber if in doubt and measure and compare with SAAMI specs

My Ranch rifle says 556 NATO and I've shot IMI M193 and SS109 through it with no problems*.

BSW

*No ammo related problems. The rifle had to go back to Ruger twice for failures to eject.

You can shoot 223 in a 5.56 chamber, but not 5.56 in a 223 chamber. If there is confusion on what chamber you have, email Ruger and ask that very same question. Usually target guns will be chambered in the more snug 223 for accuracy and because 5.56 is not match grade ammo.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
If it says .223/5.56 on the rifle, that would be case-closed for me.

Doubt many OEMs are making .223-only rifles these days.

I have a recent production AR-15 with a 223 only chamber. They are making them. But they tend to be the target or varmint rifles. Mine is a DPMS with a 24 inch stainless bull barrel.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
If it says .223/5.56 on the rifle, that would be case-closed for me.

Doubt many OEMs are making .223-only rifles these days.

I have a recent production AR-15 with a 223 only chamber. They are making them. But they tend to be the target or varmint rifles. Mine is a DPMS with a 24 inch stainless bull barrel.

Nice... Bet it's a tack driver!

They only come in 1:9 twist barrels. They used to come in 1:10 twist barrels and possibly 1:12 twist years ago. So if it is newer and has a 1:9 twist, you should be good shooting anything from 40-69 grain. 55 grain is perfect for 1:9 twist, so I would stock up on 55 grain ammo for plinking. For hunting, you will want a 62-64 grain soft point for most game.

The Target rifles are .223 chamber only. The Ranch/tactical rifles are 5.56 chamber, which of course can also shoot .223.

My mini 14 will never be sold and will be passed on to my son. It doesn't do anything as good as my AR15's do, but it is such a cool handy little rifle. And 100% reliable through thousands of rounds too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back