Dual and NON dual rated Diesel oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Motorcraft and Rotella at walmart this AM, and noticed the Motorcraft wasn't SM rated but the Rotella was both CJ and SM rated, I am getting conflicting info on the main difference and if the non dual rated can't be used in a gasser..thanks!

I sure wouldn't use any oil that doesn't carry the rating required by your owner's manual, whatever that may be.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
I saw Motorcraft and Rotella at walmart this AM, and noticed the Motorcraft wasn't SM rated but the Rotella was both CJ and SM rated, I am getting conflicting info on the main difference and if the non dual rated can't be used in a gasser..thanks!

Originally Posted By: Brons2
maybe they didn't want to pay the additional API licensing fee for the PCMO specs?

Perhaps, but would anyone persevere to use it when there are dual rated oils.

If you see two paints at home depot, one for indoor and one for indoor/outdoor, would anyone ask the desk guy if the indoor paint can be used outdoors?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
If you see two paints at home depot, one for indoor and one for indoor/outdoor, would anyone ask the desk guy if the indoor paint can be used outdoors?

As a retail worker, let me assure you the answer is, "Yes!"

Doesn't Shell make Motorcraft oil???
Pretty sure the Rotella T triple protection is the same as the Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: greywolf
Doesn't Shell make Motorcraft oil???
Pretty sure the Rotella T triple protection is the same as the Motorcraft.

Conoco phillips makes it in the U.S. but maybe it's a Shell product up north (?)

I would gather that the Motorcraft HDEO could be SM rated, should Motorcraft decide to get it so certified. It is CJ-4, after all, and not something for a two stroke diesel. In any event, Ford doesn't have anything current running gasoline in the U.S. or Canada that calls for a 10w-30 or 15w-40, so there's not a lot of point getting them SM or SN certification.

SOPUS offers dual rated HDEOs and then says that they shoudn't be used in anything with a cat.
Go figure.
There is probably no difference between the two oils you mention in their suitability to a gasser.
That does beg the question of why you'd want to use a diesel oil in a gasser.
If you want a thicker oil, there are plenty of S spec oils avialable in thicker grades.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

That does beg the question of why you'd want to use a diesel oil in a gasser.

If an OHV gasoline engine is equipped with an aggressive flat lifter cam, it may benefit from the extra ZDDP found in engine oil for diesels. That in mind, during and after the 70s, it wasn't easy to pass smog and have an aggressive cam.

There is another reason people use HDEO in gasoline engines. They analyze their oil, and find better results from HDEO. The UOA section shows how well RT6 5w40 works in Subaru's turbocharged gasoline engines, and in the Jeep 4.0 OHV engine.

SOPUS offers dual rated HDEOs and then says that they shoudn't be used in anything with a cat.
Go figure.

That would be correct because API CJ-4/SM does not meet all the requirements of API SM.

i use supertech 15w40 in my truck these days it says on the jug CJ-4/SM on it also use there sae 30 in the 2.5 gallon jug and it says CF/SL

I am using helix ultra diesel 5w40 both in diesel and gasoline engine...nothing wrong with that. Engine is working as intended....nothing shows that it will explode soon because of that
smile.gif

That's why I only haul my DOG with dual rated HDEOs!
wink.gif
Seriously, if you don't have an oil burning problem, you're not likely to kill a catalytic converter with a dual rated oil. In the '70s,'80s, & '90s many (if not most) motor oils carried a dual rating such as SF/CD, or SL/CF-with MUCH higher amounts of ZDDP than the watered down CJ-4/SM spec-and there are actually many oils today that are dual rated, & don't advertize it on the label (Valvoline Synpower & MaxLife for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back