Anybody try a bluetooth obd dongle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a cheapie I ordered off of Amazon the other day. Hooked it up to the Mazda in my Sig and it worked ok for a brief drive, enough to diagnose a lazy o2 sensor. Then on a second drive all the vehicle gauges went to zero and the warning lights came on. Pulled it out and restarted the car and it was back to normal. The dongle isn't working anymore. It's on it's way back to the seller.
Anybody try one of these things? They look like a neat tool to have for a fraction of the price of a 'real' scanner. Gives all sorts of ecu information that can be read and logged.

I have an ELM327, bought off of Amazon. It hasn't seen a ton of use, but has been great for reading codes and displaying things like exact coolant temp, etc. I'm using it with the Torque app on my Droid RAZR Maxx HD.

Lots of different Bluetooth dongles. I use the Garmin version. That one was meant to be left on the car. Co-worker has a cheapy off Amazon that also clears codes and gets logs. He doesn't leave it connected all the time. He has used the logging feature but has yet to leave it connected while he driving for logging.

Perhaps yours is the same way. I'm sure there are other cheapy ones on ebay that could work better if you want to leave it plugged. I recommend the Garmin. It was $100 4 years ago, but I've been using it since. Got 2 of them, no issues, no surprizes. However you can only use Garmin apps with it. Luckily they are free.

Last edited:
Ditto,

I've used an ELM327 device for a few years now. Other than remembering the Bluetooth code (should write it with a sharpie) it's no drama.

I've tried it on everything other than my 99 Grand Marquis and it's worked fine.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
I have an ELM327, bought off of Amazon. It hasn't seen a ton of use, but has been great for reading codes and displaying things like exact coolant temp, etc. I'm using it with the Torque app on my Droid RAZR Maxx HD.

I purchased the BAFX OBD II reader a couple years ago, and have been very happy with it. I have used it several times, and in fact, just used it this week. It still functions quite well.

There are a few little oddities that one has to remember. I don't know if these are unique to my brand, or common to OBD II readers. First, if I leave the OBD II tool plugged in continuously, the Check Engine light will not come on when there are new codes. You have to unplug the tool between uses for the check engine light to work. Second, for the device to work, there is a specific sequence that must be followed, when plugging in the device, turning on the ignition, and making the Bluetooth connection with my smartphone.

The other downer for some, will be that this device will not work with Applie (iOS) devices. They have never went to the expense of certifying their device for iOS.

Mine only cost $13, but when I just looked on Amazon, it is now listed for $23. But I've seen what looks like the same device, but with a different brand label, priced for about $11.

Too bad that the one you got already quit working. Hope you can get one that works for you.

I use an Ultragauge.

Dedicated hard wire...

Can be set up to display 4 large; 2 large and 4 small; or 8 small gauges.

Only thing it does not read is oil pressure, because their is no sensor, just a pressure switch connected to a light...

www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Last edited:
I use a cheap one I bought from Amazon. I think it's an ELM327 compliant one. I use it to connect to Torque and Dash on my Android devices. But it usually just stays in the glovebox...

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I purchased the BAFX OBD II reader a couple years ago, and have been very happy with it. I have used it several times, and in fact, just used it this week. It still functions quite well.

There are a few little oddities that one has to remember. I don't know if these are unique to my brand, or common to OBD II readers. First, if I leave the OBD II tool plugged in continuously, the Check Engine light will not come on when there are new codes. You have to unplug the tool between uses for the check engine light to work. Second, for the device to work, there is a specific sequence that must be followed, when plugging in the device, turning on the ignition, and making the Bluetooth connection with my smartphone.

The other downer for some, will be that this device will not work with Applie (iOS) devices. They have never went to the expense of certifying their device for iOS.

Mine only cost $13, but when I just looked on Amazon, it is now listed for $23. But I've seen what looks like the same device, but with a different brand label, priced for about $11.

Too bad that the one you got already quit working. Hope you can get one that works for you.

I actually ordered a bafx one last night, it appears that there's quite a few negative reviews for the vgate one I got. There was something like 500 good reviews and almost 200 bad ones. I did a little more reading on it and it's a cheapie Chinese clone of a better device. Must have just got a dud.
When it did work for all of 5 minutes it was pretty useful and something I'd like to have to monitor coolant temp, manifold pressure, instant mpg and such. Even put a bracket on my dash so I can see it easily without taking my eyes off the road.
I looked at getting an ultragauge but heard tons of great things about the bluetooth setups, my brother has one and it works great and they're much cheaper.
Hopefully the bafx device functions as it should.

Some of these device that plug into your OBD 2 port can cause some interference issues with your vehicle. This goes for the ones the insurance companies sends out, cheap scanners and of course these Bluetooth dongles. Some vehicles they'll work great in, other ones they can cause havoc.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

It's that Apple doesn't support the ELM327 not that the device doesn't support Apple. Apple's Bluetooth Stack does not support the Bluetooth Serial protocol. To use an obd2 reader for Apple device it has to use WiFi.

I have the one Hokiefyd links above. It works great and I've moved it between my cars and several one-times uses on other cars to read and clear CELs without problems.

One area of warning. Make sure the app is not running before you start the car. I've had it connected to the Outback, shut off the engine to get gas and then restarted the car while everything was still connected and running. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It threw a code relating to the computer (easily cleared), but it was a little disconcerting to see nearly everything lit up or flashing.

Originally Posted By: kmcavin
I have the one Hokiefyd links above. It works great and I've moved it between my cars and several one-times uses on other cars to read and clear CELs without problems.

One area of warning. Make sure the app is not running before you start the car. I've had it connected to the Outback, shut off the engine to get gas and then restarted the car while everything was still connected and running. The dash lit up like a Christmas tree. It threw a code relating to the computer (easily cleared), but it was a little disconcerting to see nearly everything lit up or flashing.

That's good to know. When the dash lit up it was after I drove to the store to get a mounting bracket. The app didn't terminate so continued to run in the background and that's when the issue occurred. I'll give it another shot when I get home in a couple hours before condemning the thing and shipping it back.
And just to note I was using the paid version of dashcommand and I also tried the free version of torque to see if the app was at fault.

I have one - I love it.

No issues with leaving it on and shutting the car off for my two vehicles.

Only problem I thought I had with the current one was it couldn't pull a code when the check engine light came on. Ended up trying 4 or 5 different code scanners ... and there were no codes.

No dice on resetting the app. I'm going to call the dongle a dud. The replacement should be here tomorrow and hopefully that one will work properly.
It's a bummer I got a dud, being able to see ecu data in real time would be real handy for diagnostics and economical driving habits. Time to leave a bad review and keep my fingers crossed the new one works!

Got the new one from bafx yesterday and hooked it up from my commute to work today. Works just as it should! It was packaged much more professionally and actually came with paper instructions instead of just a disc, not that pairing bluetooth devices is rocket science or anything. You do get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back