Safe to submerse throttle body in carb cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma and I want to clean my throttle body for maintenance reasons. I also want to clean the IAC valve, so I'll remove that from the TB prior to cleaning. I'm just trying to get the whole assemble squeaky clean!

I see the TB has some part (I"m not sure what the formal name of the part is - it kinda looks like a plastic choke cover) that's plastic.

I've looked at Berryman carb cleaner that comes in a gallon size, and I'm wondering if it's safe to disassemble the TB and IAC, remove any gaskets (of course) and then just soak the whole TB and IAC in the cleaner? Berryman says their cleaner is "plastic safe" (http://www.berrymanproducts.com/products...-parts-cleaner/) but I'm slightly skeptical. If it is safe to do so, how long do you think I should let it soak?

Comments? Suggestions?

smile.gif

Ed

Call me a chicken, but I wouldn't do it. I would stick with the norm, which (to me) is take a toothbrush and TB cleaner to it.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Call me a chicken, but I wouldn't do it. I would stick with the norm, which (to me) is take a toothbrush and TB cleaner to it.

No toothbrush.
spankme2.gif
Some TBs have a coating that should not be removed. I only use CRC brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I wouldn't do it. I clean all Toyota TB's right on the vehicle unbolted but without disconnecting the cooling lines (if they have one). I only use TB cleaner that is safe for electronics. Lay it on a towel and spray it. Let it air dry and bolt right back on.

EASY!
grin.gif

Is it safe/possible to spray into the TB (if mounted vertically as on my 2.5L Toyota I4, and wipe the butterfly edge crud with a towel and "leave " they sprayings in the TB for expulsion on startup or will that throw a code or burn a valve or injector?

Originally Posted By: qdeezie

No toothbrush.
spankme2.gif
Some TBs have a coating that should not be removed. I only use CRC brand.

Lol, I use a soft bristled toothbrush without any ill effect on coated TBs. Those bristles aren't hard enough to hurt anything.

I do use dedicated TB cleaner on TBs that have the coating, however.

For non-coated ones such as my truck, whatever I have on hand is what I use.

The answer is no.

There are hidden rubber(elastomeric) o-rings, gaskets and for some throttlebody, there's a coating on the horn and/or plate shaft where dunking in carb cleaner will damage them, and the outcome is that it will cost you additional downtime and a new throttlebody assembly.

Spray type throttle cleaner (the one such as CRC specifically for throttle body cleaning/safe for O2 sensors) are "toned" down solvent blend, and that should minimise any possible damage to the gaskets, o-rings and seals if the cleaning job is performed swiftly.

Q.

As the man said it will kill any rubber seals . No way in this world would I dump a TB in carb cleaner . You use carb clean after you strip it than rebuild it .

I guess that's part of my curiosity - can the throttle body be safely disassembled down to the metal body itself which could then take a bath in the cleaner?

I don't know, for sure. I think I'll run this question by my local Toyota dealer and ask the parts department and see what input they may have.

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I wouldn't do it. I clean all Toyota TB's right on the vehicle unbolted but without disconnecting the cooling lines (if they have one). I only use TB cleaner that is safe for electronics. Lay it on a towel and spray it. Let it air dry and bolt right back on.

EASY!
grin.gif

Is it safe/possible to spray into the TB (if mounted vertically as on my 2.5L Toyota I4, and wipe the butterfly edge crud with a towel and "leave " they sprayings in the TB for expulsion on startup or will that throw a code or burn a valve or injector?

I wouldn't let all of the crud on the back drip into the intake. Most TBs are pretty easy to unbolt. You will find the back side of the butterfly is usually pretty dirty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I guess that's part of my curiosity - can the throttle body be safely disassembled down to the metal body itself which could then take a bath in the cleaner?

I don't know, for sure. I think I'll run this question by my local Toyota dealer and ask the parts department and see what input they may have.

smile.gif

Ed

You are asking for trouble on what is usually a 20-30 minute procedure. Unless you have some seriously gunked up TB why bother?

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko

smile.gif

Ed

You are asking for trouble on what is usually a 20-30 minute procedure. Unless you have some seriously gunked up TB why bother?

Several reasons, but two come to mind -

1.) I'm wondering how effective spraying a little "cleaner" will be.

2.) I don't believe in doing anything half-fast. It seems like just spraying cleaner would be just that.

Ed

Agree with Quest above. don't dunk it -- o-rings and seals can melt. Granted, my experience with this very thing was years ago, on the same parts he described, but I couldn't source the melted seal by itself and ended up buying a new carb assy. I clean TB's by hand with TB cleaner and a soft rag or brush.

Originally Posted By: meep
Agree with Quest above. don't dunk it -- o-rings and seals can melt. Granted, my experience with this very thing was years ago, on the same parts he described, but I couldn't source the melted seal by itself and ended up buying a new carb assy. I clean TB's by hand with TB cleaner and a soft rag or brush.

O.K., thank you. I'll follow your lead. I'll remove the TB and spray the nooks and crannies with specified TB cleaner.

smile.gif

Ed

Don't submerge it. Use a combination of throttle body cleaner, Scotch-Brite pads, acid brushes, and cotton towels. You have to work fast because the cleaner evaporates so fast. Spray--scrub--wipe off--and repeat as necessary. Make sure all the sensors are removed from the throttle body first.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Don't submerge it. Use a combination of throttle body cleaner, Scotch-Brite pads, acid brushes, and cotton towels. You have to work fast because the cleaner evaporates so fast. Spray--scrub--wipe off--and repeat as necessary. Make sure all the sensors are removed from the throttle body first.

Great...thank you for the tips.

:)

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back