If you like Britsh WW2 aircraft.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is ytube video of mmerlin engine plant you have see it . Also a cool video b 29 engine plant in Chicago

Thank you! My favorite aircraft from any time frame are WWII fighters, be they U.S. P-47 Thunderbolts, British Submarine Spitfire, Mitsubishi A6M Zero or German Focke-Wulf Fw 190.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Love it. My favorite is the Typhoon. 24 cylinder engine? Yes, please.

Napier Sabre. Yum. H24 sleeve valve engine. Fantastically complicated and powerful. There is a YouTube video about Hawker Tempests that has some pretty good audio of these engines running at power.

The early jets are cool too and are much cheaper to own and operate.
Things like the Lockheed P-80 and the DeHavilland Vampire are pretty neat and flying examples of each exist in private hands.
The Lockheed F-104 is even cooler and at least one was privately owned and flown until it was lost along with its owner pilot.
Vintage aircraft are always interesting to view and are even more interesting to see flown.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The early jets are cool too and are much cheaper to own and operate.
Things like the Lockheed P-80 and the DeHavilland Vampire are pretty neat and flying examples of each exist in private hands.
The Lockheed F-104 is even cooler and at least one was privately owned and flown until it was lost along with its owner pilot.
Vintage aircraft are always interesting to view and are even more interesting to see flown.

Wow...can't imagine a privately owned F-104 Starfighter. That aircraft has incredible performance. In some ways comparable to todays jet fighters.

I'll bet the costs associated with purchasing and operating one would be astronomical.

There looks to be about 10 privately-owned F-104s operating in the U.S. The one that crashed was owned and flown by Darryl Greenamyer who set low altitude speed records in it. On a later flight to set altitude records, he couldn't get all the gear down when attempting to land. He successfully ejected after determining it wasn't safe to land.

Thanks for the correction.
I thought that he had died in the event.
There are now ten of these aircraft in use in the US?
That seems like a huge number considering what they are.
IIRC, these aircraft saw combat use here and there and more were lost in accidents than were lost to any action taken by any opposition.
An aircraft of remarkable performance considering the era in which it was designed as well as its having but one engine.
Though she be but little, she is fierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back