Wix 49247: Warning to Skyactiv Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Wix 49247 for my Mazda3. It is by far the worst filter I have ever seen in person. I think there is a real possibility it is a knockoff and not a real Wix filter. I have contacted them to see what they have to say but I thought I'd throw this warning out there for others in the meantime just to be safe.

Things wrong with the filter:
- Made in South Korea. This isn't really "wrong" but they don't have a plant in South Korea. I am assuming this is an item that is subcontracted out and just rebadged with a Wix sticker. There was nothing on the filter itself saying Wix or providing any information.
- The gasket was made of plastic and not rubber. It had limited malleability but that isn't the worst part.
- The short ends of the gasket, the top "flap" for lack of better word was torn off or broke off so it didn't seal at all to the air filter housing on the ends.

Here are some pictures of the product:
IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

Here you can see the shadow of the edge where the gasket is torn going around the end:
IMAG0260.jpg

Here you can see the top flap missing from the entire end of the filter:
IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Where did you purchase this fake?

an online retailer I have used many times before. I have also contacted them to see what they want to do about it before ripping them a new one in their reviews.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
As a point of reference, what was the cost savings of this filter vs. an OEM one?

Not much, at least from my dealer. I think my dealer charges $20 and this was $15 and the 2nd most expensive aftermarket product (fram was highest). The OEM was made in Japan by Nippon, I think. I wanted to try and find an American made product or I would have just went to the dealer. I thought Wix had a decent chance of being USA made.

I bought a fram for my '2011 wifes Subaru, and it was warped a 1/2. It was so stiff it wouldn't conform to the air box and the air box lid wouldn't close. Odd as Usually the Fram AF work OK for me on any application. On my old Yaris, only the OEM filter worked well. I wasn't going to buy a Purolator made in China.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I thought Wix makes many of their non USA made filters in Poland.

Wix has a factory in Poland, yes. They also have factories in Brazil, Venezuela, Mexico, Ukraine and China.

They don't make all of their own filters, though. They will subcontract out filters to other manufacturers if they can't make it for whatever reason (usually something proprietary to that filter).

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Use a Denso air filter. Denso makes quality products.

They don't make one.

The good news is that the box looks like it's made out of the same endcap material FRAM uses in its OCOD oil filters.
laugh.gif

Many people would prefer this over a metal box....

I'm not sure who made my replacement. I bought a Beck/Arnley filter on Rock Auto. They are usually provided by the OEM suppliers and it looked pretty good. My original was not very dirty at all after the 30K miles. I'll probably leave this one in 40 or 50K. Once I cracked open the box I was putting in the new one regardless.

Actually, I think the engine air filter replacement is listed as 35,000 miles, which is what I used. The cabin air filter is the 30,000 mile item. That one was nearly spotless on my car with almost no debris - from parking indoors.

Hello, OP said, "They will subcontract out filters to other manufacturers if they can't make it for whatever reason (usually something proprietary to that filter)."

I'd bet they collude and divie up production based on run quantities.
It would be nice if levels of quality were maintained throughout brands.
I'd also bet the individual manufacturers have their hands full just getting the packaging and labels to jibe. Kira

Originally Posted By: zoomy
The OEM Mazda filter is the highest quality air filter I've ever seen. I think it's rated for 30,000 miles.

Compared to this, my oem filter (40k+ miles on it now) looks like the bugatti veyron of the air filter world.

The air filters for my Acura used to be made in South Korea as well (both Purolator and Wix/Napa Gold). The Napa Gold cabin air filter for my new Scion is made in China and the Napa Gold air filter doesn't even have a country of origin on it. I got these from legit sources, too.

The company I bought from is replacing this with a Fram for no cost. I'll provide an update for that when I get it.

Also, a regional Wix rep is supposed to be getting with me so I can let them inspect this wix filter. No news when.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
While it doesn't appear on their site, I was nearly certain they made filters in South Korea.

From my recent talks with Wix, it doesn't appear so. Anything you get from SK would be a subcontracted filter not made by wix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back