Zinc 797

Barium 0

Sub Vis 53.6 should be 46-59

cST Vis 8.37 should be 6.0-10.2

Flashpoint 410 should be >355

Fuel
Antifreeze 0

Water 0

My daughter's car. Ford recommends 10k OCI but I couldn't pry it away from her until there was 12k on the oil. I did give it a first oil change at 5k with Motorcraft and the last one at 10k with Pennzoil Platinum. Blackstone says the wear levels are typical for 8300 miles on the oil. Another excellent UOA for Pennzoil Platinum!

Last edited:
what kind of MPGs does this car see? My mother has a 2011 and I just recently noticed it had a higher MPG rating than newer models. hers was rated 38 MPG HWY but she rarely sees less than 42 MPGs on trips.

Looks great especially for the long OCI and low miles on the engine. Makes me wonder why people are hunting for Ultra when this stuff is available everywhere for less.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
what kind of MPGs does this car see? My mother has a 2011 and I just recently noticed it had a higher MPG rating than newer models. hers was rated 38 MPG HWY but she rarely sees less than 42 MPGs on trips.

I don't know. It's my daughter's car and I never drive it. She doesn't keep track other than to say it's good on gas. Her car payment is less than she spent on gas in a month for the Jeep she used to have though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Looks great especially for the long OCI and low miles on the engine. Makes me wonder why people are hunting for Ultra when this stuff is available everywhere for less.

Blackstone said the iron and silicon were likely high simply because it is still new. I will note that it was down a quart when I changed it but no oil was added over this OCI. Used a Motorcraft filter but put a M1 filter on this time. I have gotten a UOA or two on my Explorer with Ultra and frankly I never saw a difference between that and regular PP.

Last edited:
Given this is only the car's second oil change there should still be some break-in metals floating around, making thse results look even better.

This oil starts with a 100C cST of 8.2 IIRC: interesting the viscosity has increased slightly with 12,000 miles of use. Maybe Platinum is really shear-resistant, or maybe it sheared and then thickened with oxidation and the like. I've been a little dubious about Platinum because it's one of the "thinnest" 5W-20s out there, but this concern may be misplaced.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Given this is only the car's second oil change there should still be some break-in metals floating around, making thse results look even better.

This oil starts with a 100C cST of 8.2 IIRC: interesting the viscosity has increased slightly with 12,000 miles of use. Maybe Platinum is really shear-resistant, or maybe it sheared and then thickened with oxidation and the like. I've been a little dubious about Platinum because it's one of the "thinnest" 5W-20s out there, but this concern may be misplaced.

Actually it's the third oil change. I did the first one at 5k and the second at 10k. I have never gotten a bad UOA from PP in any weight in any of my family's vehicles although I don't go this far on it either except for once in my Dad's Cadillac where I ran it for 12k too and the UOA was perfectly fine. Again, it should have been changed after 10k and not 12k but my daughter doesn't live with me any more and I don't get my hands on the car as often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyO
Originally Posted By: Danh

Actually it's the third oil change. I did the first one at 5k and the second at 10k. I have never gotten a bad UOA from PP in any weight in any of my family's vehicles although I don't go this far on it either except for once in my Dad's Cadillac where I ran it for 12k too and the UOA was perfectly fine. Again, it should have been changed after 10k and not 12k but my daughter doesn't live with me any more and I don't get my hands on the car as often.

The oil sampled was from the change done at 10,000 miles, right? So the second oil change. (Splitting hairs in true BITOG fashion...)

Wow, this is a great UOA! Ford seems to be doing DI correctly with their engines. Clearly the 10k OCI is very conservative, especially if you top up with 1/2 qt after 5k or so.

Originally Posted By: zanzabar
Wow, this is a great UOA! Ford seems to be doing DI correctly with their engines. Clearly the 10k OCI is very conservative, especially if you top up with 1/2 qt after 5k or so.

This is not a DI.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyO
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Blackstone said the iron and silicon were likely high simply because it is still new. I will note that it was down a quart when I changed it but no oil was added over this OCI. Used a Motorcraft filter but put a M1 filter on this time. I have gotten a UOA or two on my Explorer with Ultra and frankly I never saw a difference between that and regular PP.

I am a bit surprised by the oil consumption, or maybe not. I have noticed that oil consumption tends to be an issue with 20-wt oils when they are ran for long periods of time - usually when it is past 10k. I am not sure why that is the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back