2WD w/posi vs 4WD with open diffs in snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine had a 1990s 2WD posi Suburban and he saw another friend's Tahoe 4WD with open diffs get stuck in snow. He thinks a 2WD with posi is better in snow than a 4WD with open diff. I think he's nuts. What do you think?

Lol. 4wd of course. Lots of experience behind my vote. Jeep has both
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Lol. 4wd of course. Lots of experience behind my vote. Jeep has both
smile.gif

ditto. I also added a locker to my 2wd ram to pull a boat. on a wet steep boat ramp, it works great. in the snow? not so much.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I can't speak for snow but in sand,mud,hills an rocks a 4wd with open diff's is better than 2wd With a locker.
+1

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
A friend of mine had a 1990s 2WD posi Suburban and he saw another friend's Tahoe 4WD with open diffs get stuck in snow. He thinks a 2WD with posi is better in snow than a 4WD with open diff. I think he's nuts. What do you think?

I think you are correct--he is nuts.

On a camping trip we came across a Jeep Grand Cherokee stuck in the mud with one front and one rear tire spinning and no movement forward or back. We pulled him out with very little effort. I never understood how this could happen but maybe someone here can explain it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
On a camping trip we came across a Jeep Grand Cherokee stuck in the mud with one front and one rear tire spinning and no movement forward or back. We pulled him out with very little effort. I never understood how this could happen but maybe someone here can explain it.
open differentials and an inexperienced driver.

4wd ....

Each tire can only take so much power... and in snow or ice, that can be a very small amount before slip. It is a huge advantage to put that small amount of power thru 4 tires, instead of only two, especially on a heavy vehicle that is hard to get moving.

My not overly powerful Subaru AWD absolutely crushes a friends RWD Mustang GT with a limited slip, on similar studless winter tires. When a tire can only handle 10 or 20 horsepower, having all 4 working to move the car is often just enough to get going, vs bogging down and getting stuck with only 2 wheels working to move the car.

And tires are important. On a well worn all-season or summer tire, the tire might only handle maybe 5 - 10 horsepower. And 4 x 10 horsepower might not be enough to get the suv / truck moving at all...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
open differentials and an inexperienced driver.

Then, this Jeep is not true 4 wheel drive. It's selective 2 wheel drive.

For years I owned an older CJ-5 with a Chevy small block and limited slip at both ends. That made it 4 wheel drive and sometimes 3 wheel drive.

A Jeep salesman once told e a Jeep's 4 wheel dive was so good it would never get stuck(lol). In my experience the more capable your vehicle might be only means that when you do get stuck it's much worse to dig or winch out. If you have some adventure in your blood and don't have an expensive brand new rig you will get stuck or you're not having any fun.

Every 4x4 I've ever owned has had a limited slip rear
21.gif
The Charger is a "peg leg" whilst the M5 has a limited slip rear.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
21.gif

I have a 05 dodge 4x4 that is open rear diff.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
21.gif

What's a peg leg?
When I roasted off my old set on my charger I had 2 equal length burn outs however normal driving one tire or the other spins til I lose traction then both do.
My 99 and 01 chev's both have posi rears. The C3 is awd so the front is limited slip and the silverado has all 4 lock up when 4wd is engaged.
My 04 ram had a rear locker and the fronts locked when 4wd was engaged however my old cummins 98,3/4 ton was limited slip front and rear.

You get enough weight on the 2WD locker axle, it won't matter. My F-450 has an Eaton locker in it's rear Dana 80, the XJ will spin in snow in 4WD before the F-450 does-& the XJ even has studless winter tires on it!

I had a volvo RWD 940 wagon with locker, it would get sideways on black ice with the snap of a finger. When one tire broke loose the other one gave up immediately.

When one knew they were driving in snow and prepared, it didn't get stuck, and you could steer with the gas pedal like any other RWD car.

Once rolling in snow, the mass of wheel plus tire in 4WD with open diffs will keep it going... one tire isn't going to break free and suddenly start spinning 100+ MPH if you nurse it along. By that point you'll be past that clump of snow/ice/obstacle.

Your friend is sadly mistaken.

My 2WD pickup w/posi is stuck in almost no snow today. My Suburban would get out of almost any condition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back