LIQUI MOLY 5W20 LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL AA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this seem like really low TBN for a virgin sample of oil meant for extended oil change?

What about the sodium?

IMG_2514_zps98fab943.jpg

LM_zps033b9d05.jpg

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Danno
Funny that the oil has no moly in it.

Ironic

And they included 1ppm of it, to add insult to injury.

'SM/GF-4. American & Asian. Synthetic technology...'

At the prices they charge for LM, I'll stick with Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra in the 2.0T and Pennzoil Gold in the 2.4.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyati
Does this seem like really low TBN for a virgin sample of oil meant for extended oil change?

It depends which TBN method they used. It looks like a UOA test suite used to get VOA numbers. The thing is, data sheet numbers for TBN use ASTM D2896 whereas UOA TBN uses ASTM D4739; this method always gives lower numbers than D2896.

This is not an extended oil drain lube. It is intended for 'American & Asian' markets as stated on the label, not European.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
This is not an extended oil drain lube. It is intended for 'American & Asian' markets as stated on the label, not European.

Liqui Moly on their website states this oil can be used up to 40000 KM (24000+ miles) depending upon manufacturers recommendation. Wouldn't that qualify as an extended drain oil?

Yes, I read the same marketing info they've attached to this oil while looking for the approvals. I don't know, even if marketed for U.S. and Asia, if intended to go 'up to 40,000 kilometers' I would want to see something like ACEA or a higher TBN. If it can attain those lofty change intervals, why not sell it in Europe as well? I'm just a little skeptical. And oh, I don't know of any manufacturer that recommends 24k mile OCI in the U.S.

Last edited:

So I suppose it's also funny that Castrol engine oil is generally not made from castor oil?

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: hotwheels

So I suppose it's also funny that Castrol engine oil is generally not made from castor oil?

hotwheels

Used to be. I'll never forget that smell.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Looks like Synpower.

Bingo!!!!

Not a lot of calcium, almost no magnesium, and relatvely low starting TBN.

This is not a very impressive VOA.

Castrol Edge, PP, and even Super Tech Synthetic look better on paper.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Looks like Synpower.

Bingo!!!!

Not a lot of calcium, almost no magnesium, and relatvely low starting TBN.

This is not a very impressive VOA.

Castrol Edge, PP, and even Super Tech Synthetic look better on paper.

Yes but we all know SYNpower puts up some great uoa's.

Originally Posted By: Nyati

What about the sodium?

IMG_2514_zps98fab943.jpg

LM_zps033b9d05.jpg

Does anyone have this in something that can be viewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back