Spring car projects anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to know what fun projects everyone had planned for their vehicles once springtime comes (if it ever comes...). I'll start. My Miata has both a CD and cassette player. Both are quite obsolete, especially the cassette player. Thankfully, the cassette player was an option and only takes up one DIN slot, so I'm removing it and filling the hole with an empty storage cubby. Additionally, the wiring harness for the cassette player can be easily modified to accept an 'aux-in' jack. So I'm wiring a 3.5mm female jack from the armrest storage bin into the factory cassette harness, for hooking up my iPod and phone. Nothing too crazy, but I gain more storage space which, in the Miata, is minuscule to begin with.

Gotta get there first...
frown.gif

I'm going to go over the Sierra, from front to back.

New brakes, belts, plugs, wires, hoses... and a new head unit and door speakers.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Gotta get there first...
frown.gif

Agreed! Still have one car stuck in the garage. But when it does warm....cars are getting some updates!

not much aside from an oil change, and a thorough interior cleaning.

if he didn't live 1100mi away, i would probably help my brother swap the 99 Cobra IRS into his 98 Mustang GT.

A good and well needed wash and wax. I might have a full interior cleaning done. Obviously change the oil with some old PU Ultra 5w20 and a trd filter. Change air and cabin filters and see if there is anything else I need to do mechanically. Cant wait for Spring!!

I have a one way ticket to Raleigh, NC in May. Going to buy something rust free and drive it home.

For the Corvette:
Thinking of a lightweight hood.
Dreaming about a hot LS3. Or maybe something really scary.
Adjustable upper front control arms.

Front pads and rotors. Add a trans cooler to help delay the inevitable death of my CD4E, plus figure out how to re-seal the side cover. Add sound deadening pads to cut down the road noise. What a piece of junk, but I like it for some reason. Oh, also maybe swap out the head unit - tapes are cramping my style.

I need to do a coolant flush and thermostat replacement on two of our cars, and one transmission flush and filter job. Two of my neighbors and I were talking cars yesterday while leaning on our snow shovels ;-) C'mon spring!

Steering head bearring and fluids for the bike. Maybe valve adjustment.
Spark plugs s for the car. Jeep is a never-ending thing lol. Though with 60+ degrees outside it's not spring I'm waiting for. Just a kick in the rear to get me started.

Last edited:
Yep hopefully going to help my dad change rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and intake manifold gasket on a 2003 GMC Safari with a 4.3L Vortec RWD. Going to be a long painful road but should be good to go for another few hundred thousand miles. It has great oil pressure 30-40psi idle at operating temp. Pretty good for 141,000 miles. Still original trans. No rebuild just pan drop and fluid change. Diff fluid changed 110,000. Radiator and fan clutch 130,000. many other parts replaced that i can't list them all. These vans are rugged and never die. It does have some body damage that probably won't get fixed but who cares.

I will be making progress on my project Bronco. I'll be getting the rear axle rebuilt and re-geared (currently has 3.55 gears, I'm switching to 4.10s). Also will be installing my freshly rebuilt front differential and installing a new gas tank that I already bought. I'll hopefully get more stuff done too, but those are the biggest priorities.

Drain & fill of coolant. I have plenty of Zerex G05 to use.

Vacuum out and fill trans & PS fluid. I bought a case of Motorcraft Mercon V for that today.

It shouldn't need an oil change until summer. Brakes are new, so is the fluid. Diff fluid is new, tires are new. All other maintenance is caught up.

It was 68F today. I'm going to wait until its 72F before I consider any spring projects. Spring weather does not arrive here until next month. So in the mean time we'll just enjoy the crisp 60'sF temperatures and wait until March.

Yeah, lots of post winter repairs!
And just regular maintenance on all the vehicles in my signature. Need to keep'em running as long as possible. I don't like nor want anything new for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back