Daytona Qualifying..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya it is a wreckfest. They don't need this when you have the Duels. If they want anything to be different for Daytona, use a 4 lap average like at the Indy 500.

It's crazy!

Last time I saw so many 'professionals' (not including drivers-the victims) work together on such a disaster was when I called several Toyota dealers and Toyota themselves to see if any of them knew of or used the RubeGoldberg ATF fill level special service tools to check the 2012-2014.5 Camry U760E transmission. Also when they have had shuddering transmissions since 2007 due to poor flex plate and vanes from their supplier.

And Jeff Boredom...ahem... I mean Gordona gets the pole and everyone acts like it was skill. It was luck.

After the guys in the booth said "the fastest car probably won't be on the pole" and the cars sitting there.........??????? I turned on Illinois basketball. DUMBEST thing I have ever seen. Nascar, whoever thought of this is on CRACK.

The group qualifying just does not work on a plate track where you need to be in a pack to run fast. I like having the Duel races, but there is no need for a second set just to set the front row.

Living in North Carolina in the heart of Nascar country (or at least what used to be) this is nothing but another step in the long line of disasters to "fix" Nascar. Attendance, viewership, etc all down since the heydays a few years back. If they aren't careful they are going to fix it right out of existence. NASCAR... all the excitement of watching water boil. At least with professional wrestling the storylines are entertaining; Nascar (a close first cousin to "wrastlin" in my opinion) can't even get that right anymore.

Last edited:
Go back to the old qualifying and cup rules...
Most points at the end of a season, wins...

Switch from 360 V8's to 318's, starting with Daytona and Talladega...

Make an alternate V6 in 275-300 cubic inch available, while less get up and go, 5 pit stops vs 7...

The restrictor plate racing is just plain dumb, that it's going to be at ALL races this year will be a disaster...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Go back to the old qualifying and cup rules...
Most points at the end of a season, wins..

Switch from 360 V8's to 318's, starting with Daytona and Talladega...

Make an alternate V6 in 275-300 cubic inch available, while less get up and go, 5 pit stops vs 7...

The restrictor plate racing is just plain dumb, that it's going to be at ALL races this year will be a disaster...

Amen, amen. The way to fix Nascar is to go back to the formula that made it popular to begin with. You're from Virginia...you understand. This was a Southern sport transplanted to the big $$$ markets and it has forsaken it's rural southern roots. Sorry but I didn't expect big numbers in the larger northern metros. Rockingham, Darlington, North Wilkesboro, Martiansville, etc is where things began and a return to the old ways would bring back lots of traditional fans.

2013 was a watershed year for NASCAR. At the start of the season, Jeff Gordon, who qualified second, is at the Daytona photo session with his daughter Ella, when she whispered something in his ear. Jeff just grinned and yelled at the polesitter, "Danica, my daughter wants to meet you!"
Beyond funny...
https://mobile.twitter.com/ivandebosch/status/303356662964695040/photo/1

Major opportunity lost by not getting Taylor Swift to call Jeff Gordon to tell him he is number 13 in the race for the cup (Taylor has this thing about 13's)
Some hanky panky by other teams lead to this...

End of the season, cup is decided by most wins, because points are tied!
(do I have the right year on this?)

NASCAR went to the 360 in the 1970's, and the current car in 2012, I think.
Time for the engine to match the car, and quit trying to match the car to the engine. Splitters, spoilers, aero strips, etc...

Last edited:
I suspect NASCAR's doom lies in it's ability to satisfy the risk requirements of their insurers. It has become a very safe "daredevil" sport. I've been to the races at Kansas Speedway 4 times. There was something missing that I finally figured out.

The announcers are always in a frenzy when the cars are 3 wide, they go spastic if they are ever 4 wide. What allows side by side racing? Speeds below that which makes it a one groove track. The handling ability of the car is above the power of the engine, so the cars don't crash as often, and when they do it is relatively minor. More importantly, they stay on the track.

I've noticed they never brag about qualifying speeds, they focus on times. If anyone was paying attention, they'd notice the cars are slower than 20 years ago, particularly at the superspeedways. They like to say the race is won in the pits, which becomes more true when they are spec racers running on a multi groove track.

I am sympathetic to their dilemma, but understand it can never be as exciting as it once was. Either enjoy it for what it is, or follow something else.

The exciting part about this qualifying format is that we get to see the cars run in a pack with qualifying engines that don't have to last. I liked the pit exit strategies and did think it more interesting than normal single car qualifying. Fun to watch teams adapt and develop strategies to succeed in a new format.

It is more dangerous than normal single car qualifying, so it will likely go away. Cars in qualifying trim running in a pack are more likely to leave the track too.

Ideally cars would line up by who has the fastest car on race day. Time trials run without race set up doesn't do that, but it is the best we've got.

NASCAR just announced a modification to the qualifying format for plate tracks starting with the NCWTS and Xfinity Series sessions for Daytona. The first round is now split into 4 groups and the sessions are 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Also they have changed the rules to state that if you pull out of your pit stall, you must proceed to the track. The cars will also be places with their left side tires on the outside pit stall stripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back