Found a 78 Continental for sale. Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my girlfriend went for a walk around the back of her place and we walked past the Rusty Spoke Saloon which normally has a lot of big classics in their yard (a Cadillac, old F-Series, early Jeeps, a few army vehicles and this Lincoln)
I've always admired their collection but this time their 78 Lincoln Continental was parked outside with a for sale sticker on!
I went and spoke to the owner and he said it's up at $9,500. It was in excellent shape and there was hardly any rust on the thing and the interior was clean.
If I can get the price down a bit, say $8k, I'm seriously considering buying it as a little project and weekend car for the future! Yes its 4 miles long, weighs 19 tons and it has a 460 V8 that drinks like a Russian but it will be driven minimally. Plus I'd probably be the only 21 year old to own one but it's my dream to own an American classic! I'm super passionate about these things and would treat it like a baby and polish it every day!
If anyone has any experience with these cars is there anything I should pay special attention to when I next go look at it? Anything to look out for?
Cheers

Not this one, not for $9k! They were $1000 cars not very long ago.

But if you can find one for a couple thousand, maybe.

There was an LTD from that vintage for sale here for $800 for two years before it moved.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Not this one, not for $9k! They were $1000 cars not very long ago.

But if you can find one for a couple thousand, maybe.

There was an LTD from that vintage for sale here for $800 for two years before it moved.

I understand they can be bought cheap in the US but they are pretty rare here, and if I can get it for around $8k its not a bad price for such a clean example. I'd happily pay the price for something I really want to own though, just not really sure what to look out for on them because I have zero experience with them

You must be having a nightmare if your dreaming to own that. The only good thing about that car is the Ford 9" rear end.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You must be having a nightmare if your dreaming to own that. The only good thing about that car is the Ford 9" rear end.

To use in building a street rod.

Hello, You said nothing of "nuts and bolts" so I suggest you restore/refresh an indigenous vehicle.
Working on an Australian car will get your 21 year old brain up to speed.
At any point you can sell a familiar car.

With that behemoth, you'll be looking at all manner of international shipping of 'impossible-to-find-locally' parts.

Was the '78 the one with the pronounced grille and corresponding lines down (toward the windshield) the bonnet? (The car from the U.S. TV show Cannon?)

Is it a true RHD car or one with a chain in the dash? Kira

Looking at US car sites ones in similar shape are fetching $10-$15k!
Hey Kira yeah I was thinking that myself but I don't think Australia ever built anything quite like this! I have been looking at a 66 Mustang also, parts shouldn't be hard to get hold of for those, I see many old Mustangs been driven as dailys some even P platers!
I'll get a picture next time! It's in cream colour and is still in LHD possibly on a club rego. There would be no need to convert although I would prefer it

That 78 Continental American classic convertible in Maryland is sexy, I didn't even know they made a convertible. asking $9k

My father had an early 70's Continental Mark IV purchased new. It sure rode nice on the interstate, like riding on a cloud. Problems I recall were with the power brake booster/vacuum system and keeping the carburetor in tune.

Down under, I too would be leery of parts availability on this beast.

Aussies still had the 460 in 1978?

I think ours were the 351M/400 by then. 460 might have been an option but most I have actually seen have the 400

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Aussies still had the 460 in 1978?

I think ours were the 351M/400 by then. 460 might have been an option but most I have actually seen have the 400

1978 was the last year of the 460 and was an option. I think most had the 400 which was the standard engine

Different strokes for different folks. I'm into 70's era luxury cars. I used to own a '74 Lincoln Mark IV. It was immaculate (74K miles) and all original except for paint, brakes, exhaust and some of the electronics.

If you can't provide covered storage for it, I wouldn't buy any classic car. That's the reason I parted with my Lincoln - lost covered storage for it. I ended up selling it to a person with a garage for it.

My old Lincoln MKIV:

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
I should pay special attention to when I next go look at it? Anything to look out for?

If you buy it, make sure you get the plastic camshaft gear out of it and put in the steel replacement. I've replaced dozens of them from that era, the last one I did was a '79 Lincoln Continental with the 400 engine.

If you can afford it, and you can work on it and have a place to store it , go for it. Carbed engines are a mystery to some mechanics now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CurtisB
Different strokes for different folks. I'm into 70's era luxury cars. I used to own a '74 Lincoln Mark IV. It was immaculate (74K miles) and all original except for paint, brakes, exhaust and some of the electronics.

If you can't provide covered storage for it, I wouldn't buy any classic car. That's the reason I parted with my Lincoln - lost covered storage for it. I ended up selling it to a person with a garage for it.

My old Lincoln MKIV:

That is stunning!

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I should pay special attention to when I next go look at it? Anything to look out for?

If you buy it, make sure you get the plastic camshaft gear out of it and put in the steel replacement. I've replaced dozens of them from that era, the last one I did was a '79 Lincoln Continental with the 400 engine.

Thanks for the heads up on that! It's things like that I'd want to know about and swap

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Thanks for the heads up on that! It's things like that I'd want to know about and swap

It would be even better if the previous owner has receipts for previous auto repairs. You might discover that the timing set was already replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back