Mechanical Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading various posts on this board, it seems like a lot of people don't have the mechanical ability to repair their own cars. Why is that? Is mechanical work that difficult? Is this a skill that some people are just born with? If something is bolted on and needs to be unbolted in order to be replaced, what's so hard about that? I've never considered myself superhuman by possessing some kind of supernatural powers, but maybe I am.
21.gif

Different people have different skills. That's just how it is.

Theoretically, you can learn just about any skill, but if you don't have that "something", you'll never be great at it.

1) My mechanical ability is due to my dad pretty much making working on cars mandatory as part of my upbringing.

2) The other I'd imagine for others is self confidence. I never lack self-confidence for any automotive job as a result of #1.

3) I wonder how involved parents/guardians were (if at all) for most on here with regards to helping to develop a mechanical aptitude.

Unbolting an alternator and bolting another one on should be quite easy for most here. Rebuilding an engine or transmission would probably be beyond the ability of most here. Quite a difference between a parts swapper and a mechanic. I fall into the parts swapper category. LOL

I'd assume it's for the same reason that not everyone can draw good pictures, run marathons, drive stick, ace a college-level history test, etc.

Wasn't aware that it was shocking that some people might lack certain skills.

Growing up my grandfather was all over giving me tasks that involved boats, engines, tractors...etc. The skill to work on them and figure them out, get them running again, came naturally. He pushed and nurtured, my parents didn't mind (he was an engineer for GE) as ultimately this was a great skillset to have.

A lot of it has to do with your background. My grandfathers, both of them worked in factories maintaining equipment and in a ship yard during WW2. Both of them could fix anything. Growing up with my dad, there was always something to do with a car, whether changing points or plugs it needed to be done.

Nowadays, we've taken "auto shop" and "small engine repair" out of a lot of high schools. Cars don't need to be worked on as much as they used to. People don't fix things, they toss them nowadays. Everyone thinks that a computer or better still an "app" can solve everything.

We're also designing things so they can't be fixed. In most cases you can't get parts to fix something or if you can, it's cheaper to toss it.

It's a mindset too. My high school in the early 80's was pushing, and I mean pushing, the college track. Nobody went into business or the trades. At some point someone is going to realize that we need people to fix things.

Yes, much to my wife's chagrin, if the faucet or washer leaks, we don't run out to buy a new one. I fix the leak.

Same with the car. We don't lose confidence if something breaks every 12-18 months, we fix it or get it fixed if it's beyond our abilities.

There are many factors to why people may or may not be mechanically inclined. One of the biggest is how you grew up. If you grew up in an urban setting, where few people, if anyone you knew were wrenching on their own stuff, chances are, you are not wrenching on your stuff. If you grew up in a more rural setting, chances are you've been exposed to this since you were in diapers, and it's second nature.

If people have two good hands and decent eyesight, I can't see why they can't do everything I can do. All you do is hook a wrench on a bolt and turn it either left or right.
21.gif

If people have two legs and are in decent shape, I can't see why they can't run a marathon. All you do is put one foot in front of the other.
21.gif

If people have two eyes and a hand, I can't see why they can't draw realistic pictures. All you do is put the pencil on the page and drag it across.
21.gif

If people have two hands and two feet, I can't see why they can't drive stick. All you do is press the pedal and pull the lever.
21.gif

If people have vocal cords, I can't see why they can't sing an opera. All you do is open your mouth and make sounds.
21.gif

If people have eyes and arms, I can't see why they can't be snipers. All you do is look through a scope and pull a trigger.
21.gif

Etc...

I might have become a physician, barrister, orchestra conductor or mystery writer if legitimately capable of doing so.
And no matter how much desire and practice it seems I’m still unable to dunk a basketball through a 10’ hoop.

Instead I’m a marksman, carpenter and pretty fair weekend garage tinkerer. It all comes 'easy' to me and yet it’s inexplicably rewarding.
smile.gif

Fixing your own car requires mechanical ability but also a place (heated), maybe a lift, time, specialized skills (welding, collision repair, painting). Even most good mechanics at indy shops do not work on transmissions.

And it also may require you can be without you car for a day or more.

Almost anything in life, if you do it a bunch of times, its much quicker. Same with car repair.

The most important item is mechanical knowledge. Knowing how the pieces work together. You can talk intelligently to a mechanic and he hopefully will not try and take advantage of you. Even if you never lift a wrench.

Some of it is common sense beyond ability.

I will admit my wife has far greater ability since she grew up with a mechanic father who also had him help do house projects starting at age 6. I understand theory quite well(engineer) but execution she jumps in constantly when I get stuck.

My dad grew up as a city boy in a foreign country in an apartment and drove his first car at age 22 in the US when going to college here. He only taught me the value of finding the right people to do the work but not actually how to do it. He is former executive of engineering company retired now.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Fixing your own car requires mechanical ability but also a place (heated), maybe a lift, time, specialized skills (welding, collision repair, painting). Even most good mechanics at indy shops do not work on transmissions.

I wish.

Even for airplanes I've changed engines out on the ramp in Bangor Maine, at night, in January.

Heated garage, come on now!

I avoid steering/suspension and exhaust, but the rest I can handle. Just not equipped to do jobs that are a lot easier on a lift.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Unbolting an alternator and bolting another one on should be quite easy for most here. Rebuilding an engine or transmission would probably be beyond the ability of most here. Quite a difference between a parts swapper and a mechanic. I fall into the parts swapper category. LOL

LOL Parts Swapper. Me too but I have put a shift kit into an auto trans valve body (with instruction) and unbolted and retorqued some rocker arms to replace some parts.

Two of my brothers however....love to tinker and put stuff together. I think first there has to be some interest.

Last edited:
Dad taught me pretty much everything I need RE: electrical/electronic stuff.

I went to trade school many decades ago to learn how to fix automobile right (and became a certified mech afterwards).

I constantly strive for accurate information and to do things properly.

My passion has always been to learn. At my age I'm still going to school on a periodic basis.

*and no, I don't watch movies/teeVees very often, no time*

I despise those who do 1/2 ash mickey-mouse jobs, and pretend to be experts in subject matter. (rather rampant on the internet nowadays)

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back