M1 5w-30, 5.520mi., Toyota Camry 2.4 (2AZ-FE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some UOA's in approx. 2008 and they were very normal (lot less Iron etc. than this one)
This car was wrecked and in body shop approx. 8 weeks.
Blackstone Lab. and they flagged Iron and Alum.
Could no running for approx. 8 weeks cause the high Iron of 31?
Comments / suggestions welcome.

2010 Toyota Camry 2.4 (2AZ-FE)
M1 5W-30
8 Month Service
102,080 Miles on Unit
Sample Date 1/29/15
Oil Filter M1
Air Filter Toyota OEM

6 ALUMINUM
0 Chromium
31 IRON
2 Copper
1 Lead
0 Tin
75 Molybdenum
1 Nickel
2 Manganese
0 Silver
0 Titanium
4 Potassium
34 Boron
17 Silicon
8 Sodium
1104 Calcium
695 Magnesium
637 Phosphorus
737 Zinc
0 Barium

SUS Visosity @ 210°F 55.8
cSt Visosity @ 100°C 9.01
Flashpoint °F 370
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles%: 0.2
TBN 3.5

What is the universal average for iron and upon how many miles is it based? It should be noted on the UOA report.

If the car sat outside or was started and moved a few times, the condensation in the bores would indeed cause slightly elevated iron. I had this happen with my Town Car (though way worse) when I had the engine apart to do H/C/I on it and UOA'd the fill I dumped afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Bebop367
My Bad!
It's a 2005 Camry. Three Toy's around here and I got confused.

I was wondering how one would do a UOA on a 2010 model in 2008. That clears it up
smile.gif

toyota62,

All SN/GF-5 Mobil 1 oils, to include HM (with the exception of 0W-40) use a calcium/magnesium combination of ~1050/650ppm, as a detergent/dispersant package.

Interestingly, Castrol Edge/Syntec does as well, but in the opposite amounts, ~650ppm Ca/1050ppm magnesium.

I'm sure one of our BITOG chemists will tell us how that switch affects the starting TBN and probable TBN retention. Both formulations are a result of a trend to produce lower SAP oils in preparation for GF-6 and to address specific concerns such as low speed preignition (LSP) commonly seen in boosted DI engines.

Mobil 1 oils, both in base stock & additive chemistry, are truly state of the art.

Take care,
Gary

higher iron numbers is a common result in UOAs when using Mobil-1.
You can love the oil all you want, but you cant argue with the numbers & trend

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O

Interestingly, Castrol Edge/Syntec does as well, but in the opposite amounts, ~650ppm Ca/1050ppm magnesium.

I'm sure one of our BITOG chemists will tell us how that switch affects the starting TBN and probable TBN retention. Both formulations are a result of a trend to produce lower SAP oils in preparation for GF-6 and to address specific concerns such as low speed preignition (LSP) commonly seen in boosted DI engines.

Take care,
Gary

LSPI and engine oil affects is an interesting topic.

http://fuelsandlubes.com/digital/fli/2013-Q3/files/assets/basic-html/page43.html

Moly=good (favors M1)
Calcium=bad (favors GC/BC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back