Engine Flush/Engine Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to Toyota and Subaru both having/had oil consumption issues it seems that they are trying flushes to clean the rings etc.

Curious if these products are better or the same as off the shelf products?

500x500.jpg

I doubt they are anything special over what's already available, but it gives them something to sell there at the dealership. If MSDS were located it could be interesting.

My guess would be that B12 would spank all those above as a flush at less than half the cost.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I doubt they are anything special over what's already available, but it gives them something to sell there at the dealership. If MSDS were located it could be interesting.

My guess would be that B12 would spank all those above as a flush at less than half the cost.

looks like B12 is pretty strong in this video

Schaeffer's Neutra is supposed to be great stuff to help clean out the crank case. They make it as a fuel additive but it also says you can use it in the oil.

From the tech data sheet link at the #131 Neutra™ Fuel Stabilizer page.
Quote:
EQUIPMENT PURGE
Neutra Fuel Stabilizer can also be used as a flushing fluid to purge and remove equipment of
varnish and carbon deposits that may have built up over time.
Gas and Diesel Engines, Fluid Powered Transmissions, Differentials
Use one ounce to every quart of engine oil. Run the engine for 500 miles or for 4 to 12 hours
prior to change out.

I would personally go with Rislone engine concentrate if you feel the need to run an engine cleaner. Run it the entire OCI.

Probably not much different than say Amsoil flush. The real advantage is someone else is to blame if the flush clogs an oil return passage and ruins the engine. If that happens the dealer will most likely replace the engine and bill it to the manufacturer (Toyota, Subaru).

This Toyota Engine Flush looks different from Seafoam since the liquid is brown red color.
However, the suggestion to use is to control oil consumption, so probably that happens to a lot of Toyota.
Toyota Engine Flush http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/wa/vp?vp=Home.Owners.Parts.OilSystemCleaner&language=english%3E#60UP7qeRHp8

You can't use BG109 on high mileage engines or engines that contain sludge

It releases too many deposits in one sitting leading to possible engine failure.

It's always best, in my experience, to either do short OCI's or use a gentler detergent flush rather than a solvent one.

Originally Posted By: riggaz

It releases too many deposits in one sitting leading to possible engine failure.

It's always best, in my experience, to either do short OCI's or use a gentler detergent flush rather than a solvent one.

Bullcorn....

Kind of funny. We are told all the time not to use engine cleaners and engine oil supplements and some manufacturers have their own products. I remember when Valvoline was selling its own oil supplements.

The manuals for my cars say not to use engine oil supplements, but they don't say anything about a cleaner. I haven't seen any Toyota/BMW/Honda engine oil supplements, but then again I haven't seen everything.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Kind of funny. We are told all the time not to use engine cleaners and engine oil supplements and some manufacturers have their own products. I remember when Valvoline was selling its own oil supplements.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Originally Posted By: riggaz

Bullcorn....

It says it on the side of the can...

http://imageshack.com/a/img905/5575/7aybGF.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/7065/gYvSCk.jpg

Last edited:

Any one of our number crunchers here should understand that with millions of cars on the road in wildly differing duty cycles that there may be a car or two with unusual issues that may not need only "one size fits all" regular motor oil.

Supplements are sometimes useful. I would agree that they are generally over used and misrepresented, but occasionally they can be a great help...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Any one of our number crunchers here should understand that with millions of cars on the road in wildly differing duty cycles that there may be a car or two with unusual issues that may not need only "one size fits all" regular motor oil.

Supplements are sometimes useful. I would agree that they are generally over used and misrepresented, but occasionally they can be a great help...

Why would a car manufacturer spend the time and money to produce and provide a product for 1 in a million?

It seems when you take into account the document oil failures of Toyota and their production of these products, they know there are issues and they know engine oil alone isn't enough. It looks more and more like manufacturers push "no additives" or whatever because they are shooting for lowest cost of ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back