Cold Prep and freezing windshield washer fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another storm is due this afternoon, so last night I wiped down the rubber door and trunk seals with silicone oil, and topped off the windshield fluid with orange stuff. I switched from the blue stuff last year when it froze at teen temps (rated to -20F).

Just got a note from a friend, his windshield washer fluid froze yesterday morning. His was -20F rated as well, not sure which color, and morning temps were around 5F. It seems lying on the label is quite OK in this industry. We are supposed to stay this cold for the rest of the week. I am tempted to buy a bunch of different brands, leave them out tonight and see which ones are frozen in the morning.

So two questions, what did you do/are you doing to prepare for the really cold temps, and what brand of windshield washer fluid is freezing up on you? Bonus points for pictures of frozen fluids and outing brand names and places of sale.

Before I shut the car down for the day I squirt a spray of the windshield washer this displaces any water (melted snow) from the nozzle. One drop of water will freeze the jet closed.
Works almost every time.

The silicone treating of the rubber seals is a good policy. I do mine well in the fall.

Last edited:
Down here it's almost impossible to find washer fluid rated for below +20*F. Which is ridiculous, because it frequently goes below that in the winter, and cracked reservoirs are quite common here.

I leave 1.5-2" of space from the top of the reservoir in my truck in the winter to prevent any cracking of the tank.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Use RainX washer fluid,never froze on me.

+1 this stuff is great, and doesn't freeze to the windshield
thumbsup2.gif

This is my first winter with RainX -20 fluid. It seems to work a bit better, but still freezes on the windshield if it's below +10 and I'm moving down the highway.

Next winter, going for the -35 de-icer stuff!

The methanol evaporates out of blue windshield fluid, rendering it worse.

It's especially fun when it flash freezes on your windscreen glass before the wipers get it.

I "guess" the yellow -30 stuff is better. Even a 25% dosage in blue to make green.

WM tries selling the Zero Degree Celcius stuff around here every April-May, so you think you're getting a "rollback".

Originally Posted By: Miller88
This is my first winter with RainX -20 fluid. It seems to work a bit better, but still freezes on the windshield if it's below +10 and I'm moving down the highway.

Next winter, going for the -35 de-icer stuff!

I'm using the -40C RainX stuff, it is yellow, looks kinda like coffee pee
grin.gif

They sell -32F windshild washer.
I dont recommend using the add on liquid things like rainX. They do make straight windshield washer fluid , so those are good.

Last trip I pured a whole bottle(Rain X de-icer addon) for half tank of windshield washer thats made for summer and it froze up at when it was 20 outside.

The bottle suggested it should be good to 0 degrees F. which was not.

When I was at Denver everybody from 7-11 to safeway to walmart had tens of bottles sitting right out front of the store.It should be easy to find.

Last edited:
This is the stuff:
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGIPortalWeb/WebSource/ProductDisplay/globalProductDetailDisplay.do?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjZGnBRCOuJOUo9Xd0sUBEiQAPbicNxNNWVOqioO3MVV-ZS0coVtN5ue9dbDMlahe_StErdYaAt-D8P8HAQ&item_code=RCD35-204QS&cm_mmc=PPC:%20Google%20PLA-_-PLA%20Campaign-_-PLA%20Ad%20Group-_-PLA&ef_id=Uml9@gAABALr4kMO:20150218174358:s

198648d1296596783-why-is-my-car-peeing-neon-yellow-stuff-washer-fluid-rainx.jpg

I don't even see it on the RainX site
21.gif

RainX 2-in-1 (the orange one that says -20F) usually works fine for me.

If it has issues I get the Prestone winter fluid, which is rated -32f or some such.

I use the cheap blue -20F stuff year round and leave an inch or so of space in the reservoir when I fill them up. I've yet to have a problem (probably will now that I said so). We don't typically get as cold as many people but it has been between -4F and -8F this week in the morning. The bottles in the garage now are "Splash" and "Krystal Kleen" - I think I had a $10 off $10/$20 coupon to Kmart which is where these are from, a year or two old but unopened.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

It's especially fun when it flash freezes on your windscreen glass before the wipers get it.

My owners manual it says to use washer fluid on a heated windshield.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
RainX 2-in-1 (the orange one that says -20F) usually works fine for me.

If it has issues I get the Prestone winter fluid, which is rated -32f or some such.

That's what I'm using now, mine is orange too, but says -25F. It was the coldest rating on the shelf this Fall. However one review on AAP site indicates it froze at -5F, which brings us to...
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Never thought about that! The jug that froze was open and only half full. New sealed jugs left outside should be a fair test, though.
Originally Posted By: cjcride
Before I shut the car down for the day I squirt a spray of the windshield washer this displaces any water (melted snow) from the nozzle. One drop of water will freeze the jet closed.
Works almost every time.

Good idea. I'll have to remember that when parking a wet car outside at work.
Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
A pint of rubbing alcohol in the blue stuff works wonders. Been working for me for over 50 years.

Never thought of that, dollar store Dry Gas should also do the trick... I just object to adding another $1 product to a $3-4 product just to get it to perform like it says it should perform. It's not like I live in Alaska, or even New England.

Prestone Deicer Washer Fluid works very well. It's regularly -10 or lower here in the morning and I've had no problem with it. It says good to -27.

Never liked the mess the RainX stuff made. Turned my washer fluid tank orange.

Always give a quick wash before you park to get rid of any water in the nozzle.

Half a bottle of Heet, either the red isopropanol or the yellow methanol, into the washer tank with a drop or two of Dawn dish detergent..

Also, the previously mentioned rubbing alcohol works too...

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
A pint of rubbing alcohol in the blue stuff works wonders. Been working for me for over 50 years.

+1. Make sure to use the 70% as the 91% will evaporate out (or at least it did for me)

One time when I was overseas I had to use a bottle of vodka to keep us going down the road. Yes, I shed a little tear when I poured it in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back