SAE 8 & 12 - The Bottom just fell out of the J300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: From the Article
This revision continues the process of extending the SAE Engine Oil Viscosity Classification system to lower high-temperature high-shear-rate (HTHS) viscosities by adding two new high-temperature viscosity grades—SAE 12 and SAE 8 – to SAE J300 with minimum HTHS viscosity of 2.0 and 1.7 mPa•s respectively. The benefit of establishing new viscosity grades is to provide a framework for formulating lower HTHS engine oils in support of the ongoing quest of Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) to improve fuel economy.”

• SAE 8 is defined as having minimum kinematic viscosity at 100 degrees C of 4.0 centiStokes, and a KV100 maximum of less than 6.1 cSt. Its high-temperature/high-shear-rate viscosity at 150 C is 1.7 mPa•s (minimum).

• SAE 12’s KV100 limits are 5.0 cSt (minimum) and less than 7.1 cSt (maximum); the grade’s HTHS viscosity minimum is 2.0 mPa•s.

As SAE points out, the KV100 ranges of the new viscosity grades overlap in order to provide adequate formulating space for the grades. It urges formulators to review Section 6 of the updated document, for guidance on how to assign a single high-temperature viscosity grade to an engine oil with KV100 in the overlap regions. Copies of SAE J300 JAN2015 can be purchased from SAE at http://standards.sae.org.

SAE 8 and 12 added to the J300

Being as we haven't seen 0W16 oils in North America yet, it will likely be years before we see any xW8 or xW12. But the groundwork has been laid, so let the era of "as thin as possible" begin!

From the Article:

"Honda has for years successfully lubricated a number of ultra-fuel-efficient passenger car models in Japan with a Honda-approved engine oil that sports SAE 8’s characteristics. That history led the original equipment manufacturer to push for the new grades to be added to SAE J300, opening the door for wider use around the globe."

Honda seems to be out front of everybody on this low viscosity oil movement.

I believe Honda (and Ford) were some of the first players on the 20 grade bandwagon, right?

I am all for thin oil - if the bearings, etc are built to support it!

Yeah, I bet Honda may even release engines/vehicles that specify these new grades (it appears they are ready to do this in Japan) and then make HGMO the only available source of 0W8 or 0W12 - as it may take years for the major brands to catch up. From a marketing standpoint it would be a good way to get consumers switched over to the OEM branded oil.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Consider this:

Equivalent SAE 8 and 12's have been used in automatic transmissions for many years now.

That's a very good point.

I have all the faith in the world that new thin oils will work excellent in all aspects. The only time I get worried is when misapplication of fluids happen which could be a real problem if the industry doesn't do a lot to educate the consumer.

Why is that a good point? What's the relevancy?

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Consider this:
Equivalent SAE 8 and 12's have been used in automatic transmissions for many years now.

That's a very good point.

I have all the faith in the world that new thin oils will work excellent in all aspects. The only time I get worried is when misapplication of fluids happen which could be a real problem if the industry doesn't do a lot to educate the consumer.

Knew it was coming, but expected another couple years of pontification...guess the Japanese Auto Manufacturers are very very keen for it then.

Honda admit that they are doing more mixed/boundary in their lubrication regimes, so additives are coming more to the fore.

There's absolutely no sense in designing a lubrication system that supports 500,000 mile engine life on a car which will be crashed, trashed, thrown away at 200,000 miles...when fuel can be saved in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back