Expedition problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies on the post frequency.. it is not "intentional." Simply a reflection of the pace that events have been happening. Always has been...

Anyways, this new noise troubles me. It originally had a "similar" noise that went away, aftee changing the oil.. now, yesterday, I hear this, AFTER ensuring oil level is full:

(*For anyone choosing to view... Windshield Wiper Fluid Low light still on, it works, still did not buy wiper fluid. And radio is off. And speed limits were obeyed.)

Wait, you're driving around in winter without wiper fluid? Is 99 cents too much to spend to be able to see?

Yes. It's the beginning of the end. The crash from poor driver visibility will solve your mechanical issues. The knocking sounds serious. Like a rod knock. But if you're lucky, sometimes serious knock sounds can be caused by a bad/cracked manifold or manifold gasket leak. Rod knock will kill the engine in short order. Manifold leak will eventually lead to valve overheat, but it will run a long time with the manifold problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It might be the end for the pedestrian that you run down while monkeying with your phone.

Talk about my truck, or don't post in the thread. This is not gonna be a monkeying thread, as much as you want it to be. Be as snippy as you like about the truck. Just do it about the truck.

It might be the end for the pedestrian that you run down while monkeying with your phone.

They were blinded by his brights being on too. I'm sure oncoming traffic appreciates it.

Not a good sound.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Wait, you're driving around in winter without wiper fluid? Is 99 cents too much to spend to be able to see?

Yes. It's the beginning of the end. The crash from poor driver visibility will solve your mechanical issues. The knocking sounds serious. Like a rod knock. But if you're lucky, sometimes serious knock sounds can be caused by a bad/cracked manifold or manifold gasket leak. Rod knock will kill the engine in short order. Manifold leak will eventually lead to valve overheat, but it will run a long time with the manifold problem.

We need to change those wipers. I should put a bottle in there, though.

As to the knocking... the first question that comes to mind is, is there any "known" manifold issues on this truck, like there are on certain vehicles? I know we "neglected the coil."

Originally Posted By: LotI

They were blinded by his brights being on too. I'm sure oncoming traffic appreciates it.

Not a good sound.

^^ The high beams were on, yes, but they were not blinded. The headlights do not light if the high beams are not engaged. For this reason, I have not "cleared" the headlights, so... Good eye. It is about the same as a normal headlight. No money for a headlight switch right now.

That, and she "FLIPS OUT" when i suggest that it needs replacing. Women....

What engine is in this vehicle? Sounds like it COULD be a spark plug about to launch. Many people have admitted to hearing this type of noise prior to a spark plug coming out.

I don't have headphones on the work computer - but a cracked exhaust manifold on these seems to be misdiagnosed as a rod knock in a lot of cases.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
What engine is in this vehicle? Sounds like it COULD be a spark plug about to launch. Many people have admitted to hearing this type of noise prior to a spark plug coming out.

Good point.

MP - did you ever get the coil fixed? Or has that been ignored?

This is comforting, because it still needs that #4 coil!

It is the 5.4L from a 1999...

Good point.

I have the purchased coil inside the truck, though we were still debating the labor to get it done.

It honestly sounds like I should call her on the phone RIGHT NOW and tell her to get that changed TODAY...

Sounds like it has not launched yet, but.. change the plug too, right?

Let me call her...

If your GM high beam switch conks out, get a floor kicker from advance auto. $5 after coupon. You, yes you, can wire this up. The dimmer switch is on the column under the dash with a little metal rod that disappears up towards the turn signal stalk. It has three wires-- unplug it and all your headlights should cease working.

Actually, you can jumper middle wire to outside and get low beams.

The steering columns and all the little pushrods inside get sloppy and junky on high mileage 90's GM beaters.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Does the sound get better, worse or the same as the engine warms?

Engine warms, sound worsens.

This video was taken engine fullywarmed, for those watching the dash.

Good point.

"Ignored"... until today.

That truck will have the new #4 coil (new) AND SPARK PLUG .. by 3PM.

Must go Q/A... will post back.

Thank you, BITOG.

JHZR2, LET ME MAIL A DONATION....

Your converter may not be so happy after driving around on a dead cylinder for that long. That's pumping a lot of gas into the converter ... and into the oil.

It's a Ford. The temp and oil pressure gauge are fake.

Too bad you don't have a friend who knows how to use a torque wrench.
You could ask him to do a favor for you, and have him swap out the plugs and that coil, or at the very least, re-torque all the spark plugs if you don't have fresh plugs to install.

Seriously, the fact that you don't know ANYONE who can turn a wrench says quite a bit.
Not a coworker, not a friend, not a family member, not even a neighbor.

I do understand why you can't do it yourself, however.

I also understand why the group of BITOG members who live near you don't want to touch your vehicles, too.

Seriously, take the car to a shop, and get them to fix it before you blow the engine.
Start with the plugs and the one coil, and move up from there to the exhaust manifold, and then to engine replacement.

And stop spending money on anything else.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back