PQIA and Motorcycle Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why doesn't PQIA conduct random buy-and-test operations on motorcycle and oils? I asked them this a couple years ago via their Contact Us but never got the courtesy of a reply. Left me with the impression that they consider bikes to be too trivial to even justify a response.

As a long time bike rider, I'd like to see some tests too, but lets face it, sales of cycle oils are a spit in the pond compared to automotive oils where there are so many brands and so many grades to be tested. By the time they get a lot done there new oils on the market or old oils changing that warrant another test.

I read all the lab tests I can on cycle oils and test a few myself to decide what works best for me. Or go with a good brand name with the confidence that its about as good as it gets. Looks like you're doing that with the Duck.

now you know why i have done 80+ tests. and i dont think i have touched 1/3rd of them.
too many oils and too little time to do a proper test.

I guess they are really looking for off- brands contaminating the market with sub par product of PCMO.
A lot of classic car guys looking for higher levels of ZDP could embrace some good 4T motorcycle oil for their applications - along of course with the bike guys. Likely low moly though to meet share sump needs.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Why doesn't PQIA conduct random buy-and-test operations on motorcycle and oils? I asked them this a couple years ago via their Contact Us but never got the courtesy of a reply. Left me with the impression that they consider bikes to be too trivial to even justify a response.

Hi LoneRanger,

Apologies on behalf of PQIA if we failed to reply to your inquiry a couple of years ago. It was a period of rapid growth and shorthanded staff, and every effort is now given to answering bona fide inquiries.

I will pass on to PQIA's president your suggestion to examine motorcycle oils. Efforts to date have focused on car and truck engine and transmission oils since these affect the vast majority of users and can be measured against established standards and certifications.

Tom NJ (Advisor to PQIA but not an employee)

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Why doesn't PQIA conduct random buy-and-test operations on motorcycle and oils?

Considering the limitations of PQIA testing, how useful would it really be for motorcycles? PQIA primarily tests against API compliance, whereas most motorcycle applications call for JASO MA or something similar. Not sure PQIA has the facilities and/or is willing to spend money on all these anti-friction tests, but maybe I'm wrong.

PQIA generally is a member group that is looking to re-enforce the efforts of compliant products and turn-out (expose) those who do not meet API specs for large market applications. They do engine and tranny lubes. One day, they might even venture into GL-5?

I seriously doubt they really give a darn about what is essentially JASO-MA specs. They have tested a very few; there are some HDEOs such as Rotella that essentially meet the MA spec, IIRC. It is, after all the PQIAmerica, not PQIJapan ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back