PQIA tests five more oils (2/18/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want PQIA to start testing motorcycle oils. I emailed them about this two yrs ago and never got the courtesy of a reply.

I guess its nice they random test these whacky off-brand oils that apparently can only be found on the shelves of ghetto convenience stores, but honestly, who buys that stuff to begin with?

This is the first series of recent tests which I don't reconize any of the oils. Lol.

I too would like to see a Pennzoil synblend test.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
I'd like to see Pennzoil Syn Blend done!

I've asked, and it doesn't do any good. Guess it isn't widely available in that part of the country.

They test 5 oils that I've never seen in my life. But a Pennzoil product is passed up.

Of course, it appears that Pennzoil is going back to the "Gold" name for that product.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
This is the first series of recent tests which I don't reconize any of the oils. Lol.

Same here. I guess there are a lot more oil brands out there then I thought!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

I guess its nice they random test these whacky off-brand oils that apparently can only be found on the shelves of ghetto convenience stores, but honestly, who buys that stuff to begin with?

Hi LoneRanger,

You would be amazed at the volume of poor quality motor oils that is moved on unsuspecting consumers, both on retail shelves and in bulk. While BITOGERs are not likely to be taken in, the majority of consumers wouldn't know an SA from an SN and are frequently taken advantage of. Unscrupulous marketers think nothing of lying on labels and PQIA is doing its best to both educate consumers and cooperate with governmental agencies to shut down the bad brands.

Re the motorcycle oils, please see my post in your other thread on this subject.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
I'd like to see Pennzoil Syn Blend done!

I've asked, and it doesn't do any good. Guess it isn't widely available in that part of the country.

They test 5 oils that I've never seen in my life. But a Pennzoil product is passed up.

Of course, it appears that Pennzoil is going back to the "Gold" name for that product.

Please understand that PQIA samples oil brands on a random basis in order to avoid any appearances of bias. Therefore they cannot accept requests to test specific brands.

Tom NJ

I want PQIA to start testing motorcycle oils. I emailed them about this two yrs ago and never got the courtesy of a reply.

Yeah it would be nice if they tested oils people actually commonly use.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Hi LoneRanger,

You would be amazed at the volume of poor quality motor oils that is moved on unsuspecting consumers, both on retail shelves and in bulk. While BITOGERs are not likely to be taken in, the majority of consumers wouldn't know an SA from an SN and are frequently taken advantage of. Unscrupulous marketers think nothing of lying on labels and PQIA is doing its best to both educate consumers and cooperate with governmental agencies to shut down the bad brands.

Re the motorcycle oils, please see my post in your other thread on this subject.

Tom NJ
Yeah but those unsuspecting buyers who don't know a thing about motor oil aren't going to do research on their dollar store oils and be able to understand how to read those sheets

"Yeah but those unsuspecting buyers who don't know a thing about motor oil aren't going to do research on their dollar store oils and be able to understand how to read those sheets"

That is likely true..however PQIA is making inroads with local/state agencies to get these lousy oils off the shelves which is a good thing.

I thank PQIA for everything they have done including the testing of MANY name brand oils.

The message is clear. Stick with name brand oil. There's no such thing as a "bargain". Spec's make a difference. Urban legends must remain urban legends. Vehicle maintenance remains cost effective as does owner/driver involvement in the process.

Thanks Tom! Last time I used a product called "Everclear", I lost a few hours of time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Tom-congrats on the NY Emmy award, you guys deserve it!

Thanks Bullwinkle, but the credit goes to Tom Glenn, PQIA's President, and Walt Kane, Investigative Reporter. Hope they win the award.

Tom NJ

Random to avoid bias is just fine with me.

How about testing unopened quarts, with receipts, donated by bitog members from all over the country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back