Purol Synthetic 10w40 - 2.5L Turbo, 5k svc /30k m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I'm new here and wanted to share my oil analysis since I never found any here on this oil brand. To give you a little feedback, I have owned my '13 Subaru WRX since new. I did the recommended 1k mile break-in, did first oil change and again, at 3k miles started using Purol Synthetic 10w40. I now have over 30k miles on the car and have done 5 oil changes (each at about 5k intervals) using Purol and OEM Subaru filter. I drive a lot, drive hard, occasional track events, drags, road trips, so on... I browsed around these forums before joining to help gain more knowledge about oil before considering Purol Synthetic. It was new to the market but based on the info gathered, I felt confident to use and therefore sharing with you all until now. The manufacturer recommends 5w30 but I opted for 10w40 after consulting with Purol and other performance tuners/racers in the auto industry.

On this particular sample, I had just returned form a drive to wine country up in Napa, CA from SoCal area; drove well over 1,000 miles & hit the 3 digit mark on the speedo >< - also did some hard off road driving in Glen Helen, hit the local Big Bear mountain, track events, and other driving that easily made the use of high RPMs and dirt/dusty conditions. It's not unlikely for me not to push this motor up to 7k RPMs. I'm running a Stage 2 ECU MAP, exhaust and intake mods, nothing more. So, I thought... 30k service due and figured I'd send this hard used sample to Blackstone for analysis. I was about 1/4qt. low when I did this service so, oil consumption was minimal.

I'm very happy with the results and have faith in the product. There's a lot of marketing hype out there regarding this oil and concerns about the claims. I feel great having sent my sample in. I'm testing my next sample at 7k miles since TBN was at 4.0 . Really feeling good about using Purol Elite Synthetic 10w40 and will update again on the next oil analysis. I took the car to Willow Springs, Big Willow track in December so it already has some hard use.

WOAH, that is some GREAT wear especially for a turbo engine.

with a TBN of 4.0, after your warranty period extend your OCI!

I bet you can do 7500 and your engine won't care.

That's a healthy add. pack. Just about double zinc and phosphorous from resource conserving oils. Their website claims I can double my change interval, to 6-8k miles.
blush.gif

It's looks like a race oil, not a street oil. I wouldn't run it, especially at $27/liter, but to each their own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
WOAH, that is some GREAT wear especially for a turbo engine. with a TBN of 4.0, after your warranty period extend your OCI! I bet you can do 7500 and your engine won't care.

Yeah, I was very impressed. I'm shooting for 7k, maybe even 7.5k on this next one.

Originally Posted By: LotI
That's a healthy add. pack. Just about double zinc and phosphorous from resource conserving oils. Their website claims I can double my change interval, to 6-8k miles.
blush.gif

It's looks like a race oil, not a street oil. I wouldn't run it, especially at $27/liter, but to each their own.

It is more "race" type oil additive packed which I like since I do track my car, and don't mind the price tag for the performance and protection benefits. My previous 5-Series BMW cost me over $120 for oil change, this one is $95 incl. filter with 4.5 qt. so I don't see it as expensive... guess I'm used to $100 oil changes
wink.gif

One main reason a race oil isn't recommended for the street is a low TBN retention. This oil has tons of life left. I wouldnt consider it strictly a "race oil".

Great UOA and...

welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
One main reason a race oil isn't recommended for the street is a low TBN retention. This oil has tons of life left. I wouldnt consider it strictly a "race oil". Great UOA and...
welcome2.gif

Good point and thanks for the welcome!

I'll soon be posting an extended, high mileage sample from our 05' Nissan Pathfinder using Mobil 1 that I also purchased new. Got over 180k miles on it now.

Less than 1k miles away from doing another UOA running Purol Synthetic 10w40 on my Subie; this time, at a first time extended 7,500 mile interval from my usual 5k. I checked the oil last night and it read 1/4 qt low, but letting run without adding. Oil was still transparent, brown tone; not black or dark enough to not see through dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back