Review of Firestone WinterForce '14 Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
They are a worthwhile investment! I love when I pass AWD vehicles on hills ... or I'm able to stop when they cant.

Interestingly enough I pulled a stuck Challenger with Michelin winter tires out of his driveway using my MDX yesterday.

He tried going through the 10"+ of slop that was 4' in from road plow into plowed driveway and got it really stuck midway in rear wheels. Personally I think if he had AWD with all-seasons he would have made it.

If his front wheels spun winter tireor not on plowed driveway it would have moved.

I bought a used set of Winterforces for the Element (all have about 10.5/32nds left) and have noticed significant in wear from the front and rear, which I assume the previous owner did not rotate and the Element being primarily FWD.

If you have the time, it might be worth measuring the tread on each tire to see if the wear is relatively even. If it is, I would probably not bother rotating and swap front to rear every season (since they're directional). I'm guessing that with a a RWD car like yours, your wear is pretty even. I'd actually be very interested in seeing what kind of tread wear you've had in the past 6k.

I completely agree with your review, the Winterforces are pretty loud and squishy, but work well, especially at the price. I am particularly surprised at the good ride quality, those squishy sidewalls must really soak up the bumps.

Btw, that's a great looking Charger, love the police wheels and caps you went with!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: Miller88
They are a worthwhile investment! I love when I pass AWD vehicles on hills ... or I'm able to stop when they cant.

Interestingly enough I pulled a stuck Challenger with Michelin winter tires out of his driveway using my MDX yesterday.

He tried going through the 10"+ of slop that was 4' in from road plow into plowed driveway and got it really stuck midway in reahur wheels. Personally I think if he had AWD with all-seasons he would have made it.

If his front wheels spun winter tireor not on plowed driveway it would have moved.

Holy cow....he tried to get a Challenger through that? I'm surprised he even tried snow tires or not. Given the low ground clearance I bet he wrecked some of his plastics....jeeesh

Thanks for the kind words! Yes it is a nice look for the winter. As someone else mentioned I do sometimes bring traffic down a few mph before they notice the plate. Being in the military and the crew cut probably doesn't help either lol.

I plan on checking the wear soon to see how they handled the first couple months I had them on with nothing but bare pavement. We are paying that back in spades now with the snow we have gotten lol.

Approaching 10k and the engine feels a bit smoother and peppier.....perhaps breaking in more and more. The Winterforce do a good job but they do flat spot overnight so the first few miles are pretty rough lol. On certain stretches of highway they feel like glass but on some of the rougher roads they do transmit the road feel up through the gas pedal and wheel.

My guess is I will have the tires on through mid April so probably another couple thousand miles. Hoping to get a few seasons out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back