Engine/Transmission Noise After Spinning In Snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got 6 inches of snow here, and like an idiot I took my 99 Malibu down my driveway and out on the icy road to go get some milk(haha) and coming back up my driveway I got stuck. I spun and turned the wheel back and forth, the right wheel spin, then both of them started spinning and I starting moving up the driveway. Anyhow... I was stuck for a good while, I kept trying it, and the temperature gauge run up about 3/4, then the fans kicked on and it cooled back off. I then noticed when I snapped the throttle, I heard a loud rattle sound. The transmission started going into Drive really hard, and the gears change really slow, and the torque converter is slipping on lockup, worse than before. I didn't rock it back and forth, I waited for the engine to settle down before I shifted from Drive to Reverse or vise versa. My car has something called 2nd gear start. I put it in 2 and it starts in 2nd gear for better traction, and the transmission started "surging." The RPMs would go up and down a little bit. It seems okay now that it's cooled off, do you guys think I damaged anything? At least I got my milk back in the fridge!! Hahaha thanks guys.

I feel like I've read this post before, only it was a Volvo.
35.gif

Haha same thing happen to you? I mean darn! I was just trying to get some milk! I hope everything's okay. Did it damage your car?

Oh I see you edited your post.. Lol nevermind!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I feel like I've read this post before, only it was a Volvo.
35.gif

I was thinking the same thing. "Dude, you went full GHT. You never go full GHT!"

Originally Posted By: ChevyGuy3100
think I damaged anything? At least I got my milk back in the fridge!! Hahaha thanks guys.

Sounds like a $3000 carton of milk to me. Ha ha

Hahahaha ain't it though! I knew better than to go out, but I took my chances. I hope it'll be alright. I kinda had A feeling people would make fun of me on this one!!

Last edited:
You can tell us the truth, "milk" was really a 6 pack? That's the only thing I'd brave a snow storm for!

You really can't complain if it lasted that long and that is how you treat the poor thing!

Darn! You caught me. Hahaha Yall are cracking me up! Nah it was really a gallon of milk. Don't worry, I stocked up on the beer BEFORE the storm. Didn't wanna take chances! Ha ha ha

What do you mean "how I treat the poor thing"? I change my oil every 3,000 years.. I mean miles and my transmission fluid every 30,000 miles and I only floor it 10 times for every 5 minutes of driving!

Last edited:
In all seriousness pretty much any FWD econobox will throw a differential pin if you spin one tire long enough.

I wonder if you just temporarily overheated the tranny fluid. Wouldn't hurt to change it, you might have burnt it.

Check the lube levels of the entire drive train. By 99 this was a wrong wheel drive Malibu.If that stuff is ok, check to see if anything major has shifted in the engine bay because a mount has let go. I replaced my first motor mount ever in a 528e with 300 K+ on it. I hammered back and forth at high revs up hill to the approach of my driveway in 8" of gloppy snow. the plastic airbox was keeping the engine off the fender.

it did damage it probably overheated the trans change the fluid and filter and hope for the best but it did take life off of that car for sure.

I wondered that too! My auxillary cooler mounted at the lower grill has packed with snow and air wasn't flowing. I did smell a burning smell when I got out of the car. It smelled more like antifreeze though. I think it'll be okay. I'll check the fluid tomorrow. I'm going for a long trip tomorrow so if I make it there and back I'll know it's okay.

Yes sir. I'll do that tomorrow! I just changed my transmission fluid too with expensive fluid and Lubegard red. I hope I didn't burn the fluid. Wow just the Airbox holding it? That's lucky. Could of been a lot worse!

Darn. I was hoping not to hear that. I wish I would of just stayed home. Gosh. I'll check my fluid tomorrow and see. I just had changed my fluid with expensive fluid and a bottle of lubegard red. I hope I didn't burn anything. I'll see tomorrow and also I'm going on a good drive tomorrow so if I make it there and back it'll be okay I hope. Thanks!

Oh. My. Gosh. It doesn't look that bad, although it's got trails of mud where I dug down to the gravel then moved a foot, then dug down again and moved another foot. Haha. Is that your car and driveway? That's pretty darn bad! Someone was really determined to get outta there. Is that black stuff rubber coming off the tire? Lol that's funny.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
In all seriousness pretty much any FWD econobox will throw a differential pin if you spin one tire long enough.

I wonder if you just temporarily overheated the tranny fluid. Wouldn't hurt to change it, you might have burnt it.

It's funny this topic should come up. The following pictures are the direct and end result of excess spinning in deep snow with a FWD car.

20131023_085506_LLS_zpsfdcfced6.jpg

When I took the trans mount off-
20131024_190226_HDR_zps28651b80.jpg

And the hole it left-
20131024_190300_LLS_zpsb1d7c245.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back