Mixing OAT and HOAT...round two. Ease my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I posted about this before and just wanted to follow up. When I was last home in November (I work overseas), I purchased a vehicle that was serviced with OAT coolant at the wrong mixture for cold Upstate NY storage. Given that, and the fact that it was supposed to have HOAT coolant, I did the following procedure (at the time I didn't know how bad it was to 'mix' them).

-Drained coolant from radiator and block
-Refilled with Distilled water
-Ran up to temp, drained from radiator and block
-Refilled from HOAT
-Drove the car 200 miles
-(one week later) drained the engine and block, refilled with HOAT
-(one week later) drove it about 10 miles, and drained and refilled with HOAT

Now here is the kicker. At the time, not knowing how bad mixing them was, I didn't drain and refill the overflow bottle until the final drain and refill of the system.

I've ran the numbers over and over-I'm not going to bore you guys with them, but the absolute most amount of OAT that could of been introduced into the system would of been 18 percent (realistically much lower). I figured the 18 percent from the following two facts-that there was a GALLON of residual coolant each time that I drained it, and somehow ALL of the OAT from the overflow tank made it into the engine. Realistically, there was no way there was a GALLON residual at each drain (remember that I did the radiator and block drains), and there is no way that all of the OAT in the overflow exchanged itself with the HOAT in the engine, I'm just figuring for worst case scenario.

The reason that I mention the 18 percent is that Amalgatech/Technical Maintenance Council says that 20 percent is the 'most' that you can mix OAT and HOAT. Speaking of Amalgatech, I had a friend send them a sample of my coolant-they tested it and it's 100 percent HOAT. The same friend also sucked all of the coolant out of the underhood reservoir and said there was nothing abnormal. Plus I didn't see anything abnormal each time that I drained the system after the first fill of HOAT.

Please convince me that all is well....I would obviously be doing whatever I could to ease my mind but I work overseas and won't be home until Mid March.

Thanks for reading, for those that stuck with it!

-Travis

I think you probably have no more than 0.1% OAT in your system after the third drain and fill.

I drained only radiator and reservoir of my S2000 with heater set at max hot, fill with distill water and drained it after a short drive around the block. When I drained the distill water I saw very light green from the old coolant came out, I think probably less than 4-5%. I then filled to Peak Global Lifetime and call it good.

If mine is less than 1% then yours should be much less than that.

Thanks guys. I have done some research on chemical flush agents, and I think I'm going to flush the system with the '420CF' solution offered by San Carlos Radiator, just to be 100 percent sure the system is ok. It could probably use a flush regardless of coolant mixture anyway. Thoughts?

Coolant flushes are made to work with water, they should not be used to get rid of leftover coolant. If you are worried, keep flushing the system with water and driving for a few days. Drain the water, fill, drive and repeat, do it 3-4 times and you should have over 95% of water (you will never achieve the 100%). Use the flush then.

For whatever reason, I am not a chemical flush fan. If you have a somewhat clean coolant system, then just a few water flushes will be fine. Then just fill with the recommended coolant type. Most coolants will work together, especially in small amounts. You really should not be concerned and this is coming from someone who is anal about everything. LOL... Just leave it as is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
For whatever reason, I am not a chemical flush fan. If you have a somewhat clean coolant system, then just a few water flushes will be fine. Then just fill with the recommended coolant type. Most coolants will work together, especially in small amounts. You really should not be concerned and this is coming from someone who is anal about everything. LOL... Just leave it as is.

Sound advice.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Dude the lab tested you at 100% HOAT. You'll be fine.

I know sir. I was mostly concerned if any gelling/silicate dropout/etc could of happened during the 200 mile period that the car was driven with a possible mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back