First Oil Change for a 2015 Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just purchased a brand new 2015 Tacoma 4x4 V6 (1GR-FE). I'm sure this topic had been discussed plenty before but haven't found anything related to this engine. When would you suggest I do the first oil change? I have never owned a car from scratch before and was wondering what would be a good first oil change interval. I was thinking about doing 500 miles with Toyota conventional oil then at the recommended interval (5,000 miles), switch to a synthetic. Does Toyota use a "special" break in oil that should be left in until 5,000 miles? Would it be bad or beneficial to do early?

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm thinking it's a waste of money to do an early oil and filter change.
Read this link if you dare: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I assume at 250 miles, this is too late. I got the truck at 20 miles on the dot, so hopefully whoever test drove it, really drove it lol.

You will receive answers to this question from all across the spectrum.

I like to do an early change around 1,200 miles to get rid of any residuals from the manufacturer's engine building process.

But you need to do whatever makes you feel good.

An early change isn't going to hurt anything and you can sleep knowing you got your engine off to a good start.

Toyota doesn't, to my knowledge, use break-in oil.

Change the factory fill at around 1k and use a quality conventional or synthetic at the suggested intervals.

I also have a new '15 Tacoma 6-Cyl. I owned a 4 Cyl Tacoma prior to this, and held off changing the oil on it. It's UOAs were stellar.

I don't think Toyota uses a break-in oil, as does Honda.

If I am not at 5k miles when I make my 1st long road trip (out to Colorado next month), I will probably change it. Otherwise I am in no hurry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You will receive answers to this question from all across the spectrum.

I like to do an early change around 1,200 miles to get rid of any residuals from the manufacturer's engine building process.

But you need to do whatever makes you feel good.

An early change isn't going to hurt anything and you can sleep knowing you got your engine off to a good start.

Toyota doesn't, to my knowledge, use break-in oil.

This. I personally prefer an early first oil change, but there's tons of evidence that it's not needed. So do what makes you most comfortable so you can sleep easy at night.

I have a 2014 Toyota Tacoma and my first oil change was at 6 months, 2200 miles. The local Toyota deal has a 2 year free maintenance for every Toyota purchased. They used conventional oil and a OEM Toyota Filter. If I did it myself, I would have changed it at the same interval, 6 moths or 5,000 miles as in the Owner's Manual using M1 and a OEM Toyota Filter.

Hope this helps!

I'm a big fan of early oil changes also. On my new engines I like 500, 2000 and 5000 miles before going manufacturer's intervals under warranty. To me, this insures that impurities from assembly (insert discussion about engines not needing these removed, they help with break in, etc etc) are washed out and into the filter.

While I agree with Motoman's break in recommendations, IMO making sure the rings seal doesn't affect the oil and any junk that may be flowing around in there -- the two issues are separate.

Last edited:
The linked article matches pretty well with my two auto reference books from the late 60's or so, and is how I break a new engine in, the few new ones I have bought or rebuilt engines. Changing the oil very early and draining out the particles the filter misses can't be bad. The only part of the linked article I would say is wrong is the machining is finer now. Even in 1900 it was known about honing roughness,and the honing wouldn't be finer now. If the honing was finer now, the cylinder walls would wear smooth too fast and the honing scratches, cross hatching, would not hold oil as long. I don't see any break in oil commonly available, and I don't think any company uses it. It was an oil meant to be changed early due to lower friction protection, so the parts lap in quicker, not to ber left in. That Honda stuff about break in oil has to be one of those urban myths, or Honda machines their parts so badly they require a break in oil to grind down the machining errors. But they say to leave it in, so it isn't break in oil as the term is used commonly.

Great opinions, thanks everyone. If that article holds water, I hope the test drivers really drove it Haha.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: afree

I assume at 250 miles, this is too late. I got the truck at 20 miles on the dot, so hopefully whoever test drove it, really drove it lol.

If the lot boys at the dealership were anything like any of the lot boys I worked with over the years, they tossed it a good beating just moving around the dealership. Test drives are hit or miss, some people drive them easy, others really give them a run.

I've got a 2015 V6 Tacoma also. I'm waiting till the 5K mark to change oil and I don't have any concerns about it. I've bought a few new vehicles in the last few years, either Hondas or Toyotas, and neither recommended early changes. Honda practically begs you not to change early.

My only decision is whether to do my own oil changes w/synthetic or let the dealer do it for free with conventional. At 1400 miles on my ODO I'm still not sure what to do.

I think I am going to go 1,000 miles and replace it. Any recommendation for which oil to change to up until the free 5,000 mile service?

I just bought a 2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road and added the 5 years 60K miles all maintenance done by them package and it specifically says synthetic oil vehicle. it had the option of regular or syn and the finance guy marked synthetic. does anyone know if this was marked right? I plan to go to 5K then take it for them to change it and of course since i am a BITOG member i have to over think the whole thing.
thing running though my head:
should they use Syn?
should i request 1 fill of dino 5w30 then switch to syn?
will the syn used be 5w30 or should it be 0w20?

I know shame on me but i just got truck yesterday and i haven't read the manual yet to see what it says.

What does the OM say?

This should be the same engine as my moms TRD 4runner and it says to use 0w20, but a 5w20 can be used as a substitute. The OM for that particular vehicle says nothing about a 5w30. It needs the synthetic at least for warranty purposes. Factory recommended intervals should be 10k, but leave it to the dealer to push 5k intervals.

I take back what i originally said in this thread as I had no idea what I was talking about.
smile.gif

Enjoy the truck. Toyotas are great vehicles.

I just bought a Tacoma V6 4x4 Offroad last month. I am approaching 1,000 miles, at which point I am going to take a sample for analysis, and change the oil.

I have no doubt the sample will show elevated wear metals, as do nearly all UOAs performed on factory installed oil. This is pretty much an established fact.

What I cannot say with certainty is whether changing out the factory fill (with the elevated metals) early will make any difference in the wear of the engine. All oil goes through the filter before it goes into the engine (unless the filter goes into bypass). So in theory, any particles present in a UOA should be so small they wouldn't affect the wear on the engine.

But I am doing it on the outside chance that it may make a difference. And, it makes me "feel" better. But in reality, it probably makes little difference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back