09 Forester XT, EJ255, 6.5kmiles PU 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a little under year ago on my now funked engine.

I apparently pushed the limit a tad on this oil change yet it still came out on top. The fuel must be from the previous winter or something more sinister that caused my failure.

2ch6el2.jpg

I should post on the other 2 from Oil Analyzers to I guess just for comparison.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the main reason that I stopped doing uoa's. They're good at determinging safe intervals, good at sometimes spotting obvious problems, but they're hit or miss in predicting something like a turbo or bearing failure (two common turbocharged Subie problems). I have seen them predict bearing failure on more recent models that had high silver. Blackstone even started flagging Subaru uoa's with 3-6 ppms of silver.

If you feel like searching, you can actually find some old uoa's here that were affected by the Stop Sale. Those did have abnormal wear metals. And I told you before to stop running girly man oil.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Did you take an oil sample when the engine was having the issues?

Silver was 2ppm is that starting to indicate a ptoblem?

Now that I think about it, I believe the 09's did use silver. I believe that's when they switched from lead.

Here's a comment someone found and posted on nasioc, although the link no longer works.

Quote:
The problem comes from Subaru switching the material the engine bearings are made of. Originally they were made of lead, and for debated reasons (environmental / cost savings) they changed them over to silver bearings. The problem with silver bearings is that they require a much cleaner and more precise manufacturing process.

The first (few thousand?) engines produced with silver bearings were not properly
manufactured and can lead to engine failure, anywhere from 400 miles to 15,000 or 30,000 miles (hopefully while the engine is still under warranty for the owners sake!).

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2588529

It's incredible that we're still seeing '09 failures.

Last edited:
No issues at all when this was changed 04/2014, issues only started last week. It ran great all summer and the winter we had as well.

bluesubie:

Girly man oil indeed
laugh.gif
Funny you have PU 5w40 in the sump now. I was eyeing that up at the local Dodge dealer parts counter over the summer. Not a horrible price either only $5.35/qt. I tend to frequent that dealer because on an In-laws Grand Caravan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back