Quick Change Shop ruins engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friends son had his oil changed at a well known shop recently and they left the "O" ring off the cartridge filter cap. The engine started making noise and oil was dripping under the engine, and after pulling the dip stick realized only 1/2 qt. oil was left. The oil change company inspected the oil cap and will take full responsibility for a new engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: tig1
they left the "O" ring off the canster filter cap.

Did you mean 'cartridge'?

I did. Thanks, and I corrected it.

I can see how that would be something that could be forgotten.

When we had the Toyota I didn't remove the old one unless I was ready to immediately install the new one. Leave a few minutes in between the two actions and my old brain has the possibility of forgetting
grin.gif

When my dad still had a general repair shop, we got an engine swap job courtesy of a quick change service by a business that ends with a word that rhymes with tart. They forgot to tighten the drain plug and cooked the engine on a 5.0 in a Ford. It happens. I always say when it comes to car repairs you can have fast service or you can have good and proper service.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Typical technician with zero pride in the work they do.

Why not just do it yourself and get it done correctly.

I have done all of my oil changes since 1965 with the exception one change last year when I had minor surgery.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Typical technician with zero pride in the work they do.

Why not just do it yourself and get it done correctly.

There's no evidence of that; Plenty of BITOG'rs have documented their debacles right here on the board.

Yep, this is only news if they make the mistake and will not do right for the customer.

Mistakes are made, that's a given. How you respond determines if it's newsworthy or not.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Yep, this is only news if they make the mistake and will not do right for the customer.

Mistakes are made, that's a given. How you respond determines if it's newsworthy or not.

True. Atleast the place owned up and took full responsibility.

Occurrences like this are why I break a sweat when others work on my car.

+1 Everyone makes mistakes.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

True. Atleast the place owned up and took full responsibility.

Occurrences like this are why I break a sweat when others work on my car.

This, I will say that a mistake can happen, and when the business steps up and does the right thing without being hassled or sued, I respect them and still would consider using them.

I made many mistakes over the last 20-30 years. Lately I triple check everything before I install it. That why it took me 1 hour to do oil+filter change in my E430 with a fluid extractor, it is supposed to be 15-20 minutes job.

Originally Posted By: Trav

+1 Everyone makes mistakes.

+1 - I have a couple of ex-wives to prove I make mistakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
After I start my vehicles I wait for the oil pressure to rise on the gauge, then look at the filter for a leak and under the vehicle for any leak.

I do the same and those steps have yet to fail me.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The oil change company inspected the oil cap and will take full responsibility for a new engine.

So who gets to remove/replace the old/new engines? These same monkeys?

I work in a quick-lube shop, but I take the time to triple-check everything I touched. The problem comes from managers and customers wanting it done quicker than humanly possible, (add that up to how many cars they do every day and you can see why mistakes are made) but if someone is working on my car i'd rather them take the time than just try to rush it through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back