Coolant condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 4.6 f150 with 174k miles

Why is it so brown after so many flushes?

I flushed it 30 months ago with preston coolant and distilled water.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Brown= Rust and dirt contamination.

can be caused by being Left in the system too long,inadequate coolant concentration, dirt in the overflow bottle etc.

How many more gallons of water to get to clear flush?

Was it really dirty before you flushed it the first time? If it was it will never come clean. Rust never sleeps. You can help a lot by removing the block drain plugs as they are much lower than the water pump.

Looks like apple cider
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: slowdime
A shining example of why staying on top of fluid replacement intervals is important.

What do u think the sympton os? What is the fix?

I did buy the teuck used at 160k miles. Got me throigh two moves towing 7k lbs, 5 k miles and made my money back. I would love it to last another 15k miles and move next summer.

How many flush and fills have you done?
There's rust inhibitors in coolant and they break down over time, hence the need to replace it regularly.
If you bought it with 160k on the clock it may or may not have had the coolant changed regularly.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
How many flush and fills have you done?
There's rust inhibitors in coolant and they break down over time, hence the need to replace it regularly.
If you bought it with 160k on the clock it may or may not have had the coolant changed regularly.

Just once 30 months ago, 7k miles. I have owned the truck for 4 years, 15k miles.

You can try running a cooling system cleaner through a few times.
I'd use a cleaner and just regular water. Run it to operating temp, drain, repeat. Once it comes out clean that's probably as good as you can get it.

Chances are you have a bubble in the engine block. With the engine off, you have an air pocket of exposed metal which rusts easily. Then, upon engine start, the 2EHA acid used by Prestone does its magic by removing all rusts as the coolant starts flowing. Said acid cleans and conditions metal very well. A lesser quality thermostat could also be the cause of the rust colored coolant.

Proper bleeding or burping of the coolant system could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back