Would you buy a used car battery for $50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.

I purchased parts last night. Went into store; priced them up, located availability.

Went to office; used a discount code, received $50 off, purchased online.

My total was $469. (Battery, coil for the Ford from BWD, Distributor, ignition wires from Intermotor, 4 NGK V-Power plugs.)

Focus: On the battery...

I got there, they had a Group 51-2. The order said 51R-1. I said "It has a date code February 2015; Nice and new, why not use that one?" ..They said that "On the 2, the polarity was reversed from the 1."

Was this true?

- Joseph

*I am endeavoring to buy an Advance Auto Parts Autocraft Silver. Just like the Volvo had...

I decided NOT to spend the money at Walmart, for an EveryStart Maxx.....

And the AAP Silver IS a very very good battery, yes?

The R in 51R makes it reversed polarity.

Why do I see the civic in photos in different places if it hasn't had a battery since the theft? Or is it just different lighting and angles?

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
I got there, they had a Group 51-2. The order said 51R-1. I said "It has a date code February 2015; Nice and new, why not use that one?" ..They said that "On the 2, the polarity was reversed from the 1."

Was this true?

Yes, the + and - terminals are in the opposite spots.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The R in 51R makes it reversed polarity.

Why do I see the civic in photos in different places if it hasn't had a battery since the theft? Or is it just different lighting and angles?

Any photo that you see of the Civic that isn't it sitting in the tow yard (Dente Bros, Newark, I think I took about 4 or 5 of it there) or at the mechanic (Corozal in Elizabeth, I took.. probably about 10 that I have thrown up since the car's return) are old/older photos of it, taken pre-11-25-14, the date it was stolen. (Isn't that Thanksgiving Day?)

*This is also why some of them are K77 EJX (its original plates) and some are K33 EUP (since we had to get the car re-registered, since City of Newark threw a fit with the insurance. The car was insured, and still is, for anyone asking. But Newark is Newark. They are a scam.)

Even the license plates set us back.. I think it was a triple-digit number to re-register and re-title the car, to match the Insurance it already had...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

Was this true?

Yes, the + and - terminals are in the opposite spots.

Thank you, QP!
thumbsup2.gif

Oh... and, the mechanic is telling me that "The engine in the car is not from a 2000." I know it says 2000 on the Valve Cover. So.. maybe, just maybe.. I got hustled a little bit on the sale, and the engine is the 1.6L from a 1995 that is supposed to be in there.. not a "year 2000." I need to learn my Honda engine codes. The Honda forum is quite snarky, and frequently rude and unhelpful. At least here, I get actual answers, as well as real-world views and opinions.

I can tell you your engine is probably not from a 2000 because yours has the dipstick go through the exhaust manifold while the later gen didn't.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
I can tell you your engine is probably not from a 2000 because yours has the dipstick go through the exhaust manifold while the later gen didn't.

So I was incorrect in thinking the engine was same from 92-00 it seems ? (Is another reason I believed it)

Last edited:
Who makes Nissan batteries? Exide?

I bought a tiny little Nissan battery for $10.

It probably came from a Sentra or some tiny car.

That battery sits in the 89 Lincoln. Starts fine, but its only there so I can use keyless entry to access the tools in the trunk, or a key in case I get locked out of the house.

The courtesy lights, about 10 of em kills it in no time. Who needs lights under the front seats?

Good reason to buy the proper sized battery for the vehicle's electrical demands.

I'm gonna check the date code on it in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back