New oil filter rattle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a couple of oem Honda (A02 Frams...) oil filters the other day... when I went to install one, I discovered one had a "rattle...".

I always give any new filter a quick upside down shake, in case there is anything inside the filter, but I don't recall any previous filters rattling. Had a few dented ones, which were returned...

What would cause a rattle... the wing spring or coil spring should keep everything tight, you would think...

I chose not to use it, thinking maybe the by-pass was dislodged or the spring failed...? Put a Fram Ultra on... no rattles.

That usually happens when they drop it too hard and they break (shipping damage).

I would not use it either, get exchange it or get a refund.

It happens. There was a guy with a Fram Ultra that had a "rattle". I think they said it was the leaf spring that gave out so full pressure was not being applied and the filter inside was able to spin. Use either the Ultra or the Honda OEM with confidence. Just give your filters a good shake and spin before installing them.

^^^ Coil springs are definitely more forgiving and reliable.

There is a guy on you tube that has a fram ultra he claimed failed at low miles and it seems like it is spinning in the can. I assume that could happen to any filter.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
There is a guy on you tube that has a fram ultra he claimed failed at low miles and it seems like it is spinning in the can. I assume that could happen to any filter.

I remember we had one posted on here when the Ultra was fairly new, it had apparently been dropped hard enough to dislodge the leaf spring. Fram replaced it with a couple of new ones IIRC.

I checked all of mine (4), no rattles.

My guess is the one in the video was defective from the beginning, most people (myself included) never bother to shake them before installing. I certainly will now.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
Picked up a couple of oem Honda (A02 Frams...) oil filters the other day... when I went to install one, I discovered one had a "rattle...".

I always give any new filter a quick upside down shake, in case there is anything inside the filter, but I don't recall any previous filters rattling. Had a few dented ones, which were returned...

What would cause a rattle... the wing spring or coil spring should keep everything tight, you would think...

I chose not to use it, thinking maybe the by-pass was dislodged or the spring failed...? Put a Fram Ultra on... no rattles.

You said several were dented. A rattling inside is an indication that the filter has been dropped and landed on the dome end. This can hurt the leaf spring inside. General rule of thumb is to never use a dented filter or one that is rattling, return them for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back