2004 Toyota Camry Camshaft - what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All --

I successfully changed my valve cover gasket @ 138k miles. I had a little bit of oil in the front part of the engine. I found that the gasket was really brittle. I had used Mobil 1 EP mostly, with the last few changes being Pennzoil Platinum and some Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Take a look at the overhead cams. I noticed that there appears to be almost zero tarnish on 3 and the 4th seems to have tarnish on it.

For all you experienced folks, what do you think when you see it (highlighted red box).

20150216_125947.jpg

and here's the other half
20150216_125951.jpg

Is that a new engine? J/K..it's fine.People freak out about the valve cover , that's like a condensing area for the oil, of course it's going to have deposits.

Last edited:
varnish is as harmful as a gnat, try not to worry yourself because the OCD brigade will be here shortly.

The Camry 4 cyl was never a sludger, regardless of the year, I know the 4th gen (5sfe) was included in the Toyota service campaign along with the 3.0 v6, I did a ton of research through dealers and OLD Toyota mechanics, the v6 "was" sensitive to timely oil changes, but the 4cyl was no different than any other 4cyl of the time, properly maintained.

I rebuilt our 2az-fe, it looked same but it had 3k OCI on brand name dino's until 170k when it started to burn oil, then PU/PP 10K OCI which reduced oil consumption, our 2AZ-FE was slightly cleaner, but I bet the your pistons are in MUCH better condition, considering carbon build up.

I wouldn't worry about a thing.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I bet the PCV is located on that side of the engine. No big deal from what i can see.

Front of the engine (timing chain is considered front) side, on the back side.

Laymen terms, facing the engine it's right behind the timing cover area end, of the valve cover

That screw clamp on the coolant inlet hose is not near as good as the constant pressure clamps that came on the vehicle. I can never understand why so my individuals replace the OEM clamps with screw clamps.

A lot of times its because they also replace the factory hoses with aftermarket ones which are thicker. The clamps do not fit a thicker hose.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
That screw clamp on the coolant inlet hose is not near as good as the constant pressure clamps that came on the vehicle. I can never understand why so my individuals replace the OEM clamps with screw clamps.

Charge battery full, have someone crank it while you hold a file against the lobes to remove varnish. Sandpaper should work if no file on hand - J/K
Maybe a PCV change, PU oil, but I wouldn't worry.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
A lot of times its because they also replace the factory hoses with aftermarket ones which are thicker. The clamps do not fit a thicker hose.
what? I never seen that and I have compared a few...

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje

+1 the factory spring clamps have never gone bad in any of our cars, ever...

but the screw clamp has failed on me...in a civic I bought that already had it on there.

Yeah, I ordered a bunch of OEM stuff for my Toyotas but somehow forgot the lower radiator hose for my ECHO. I got one at NAPA and the spring clamps would not fit over the "hump" in the hose when it was installed on the engine and radiator. For both cars the spring clamps barely fit over it with the OEM hoses, but they fit of course. There wasn't any extra space.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: kschachn

what? I never seen that and I have compared a few...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back