cold temperature pour comparison on youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I may have to rethink my decision for using conventional oil or at least invest in an oil pan heater. Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:
The Royal Purple really surprised me! I am never in an environment that is that cold, but if I was, it seems that a zero weight would definitely be ideal. I would like to see how zero weight oils from the same manufacturers would compare on the same test.

+1, that would have been much more interesting, or using nothing but Mobil 1's entire line, at least all things being relatively equal.

Cool video. I wish they would've stressed that the SuperTech was conventional oil a little more, rather then continually calling it "generic". Yes, it's "generic" in that it's not a big name brand, but it's a quality conventional oil. I wish they would've either stressed it's the only conventional oil a bit more, ore used SuperTech synthetic to keep it even across the board.

But it's still a cool video. Hope I never have to start my car in those conditions.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Were they trying to make the Walmart synthetic oil look bad? Wonder why they didn't use a Walmart synthetic oil.

....or make Mobil1 look good?

reading the data sheets/checking the pour point would give you this information. not too surprised.

The bottle designs are not all the same either. The flow out of a bottle is aided by the air entering the bottle. If the bottles are not all the same design and sitting at the same angle, then the test is flawed as well.

Originally Posted By: Click
The bottle designs are not all the same either. The flow out of a bottle is aided by the air entering the bottle. If the bottles are not all the same design and sitting at the same angle, then the test is flawed as well.

The bottle openings are drastically different as well. Still unfair to put up the conventional vs the other synthetics.

Personally, -40 means nothing to me living in Maryland. I would rather see something in temps that I am likely to see, around the 20 to 0 F range.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Personally, -40 means nothing to me living in Maryland. I would rather see something in temps that I am likely to see, around the 20 to 0 F range.

Agreed! I'd like to see as far down to -10F, but any colder, I'd probably not go anyway!

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
Wow, I may have to rethink my decision for using conventional oil or at least invest in an oil pan heater. Thanks for posting this.

33.gif

Not sure what they were trying to achieve, as -40C is too low for 5W anything to be playing nicely...0W is the appropriate choice for that.

The Walmart (conventional) and the RP would probably have resulted in some damage were they in a sump, failing to flow into the pick-up as they were pumped...

Summary, right oil grade for your temperature range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back