39F degrees on Saturday...who's changing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am down within 400 miles on 2 of my 4 vehicles for the OLM. Its been sub zero here for the last week...am I going to have to actually break down and go to the dealer for the $29.95 5w30 dino bulk oil change? Then suddenly out of nowhere I get the weather forecast and it shows 39F for Saturday
happy2.gif

Saturday no less.....
banana2.gif

Who else is changing oil this weekend?

When I first bought my Focus, it was actually down in the 20s when I did my first oil change. The main thing that drove me to do it in that instance was that I saw a good ol' orange Fram on it when I got it home. Otherwise, I would have waited for better conditions.

I don't want ice that's stuck all in the frame somewhere dripping on me.

I like changing oil when it's 15-25'F. I have a ratty sweatshirt I wear so I don't get my sleeves dirty on my winter coat so I work quickly.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
When I first bought my Focus, it was actually down in the 20s when I did my first oil change. The main thing that drove me to do it in that instance was that I saw a good ol' orange Fram on it when I got it home. Otherwise, I would have waited for better conditions.

Well at least you knew someone had been changing the oil on the car.

Well, I changed the oil(*) on Saturday, and changed the rear diff fluid on Sunday, so I'm good to go. And by the way, it was in the mid 70s both days :p

(*) For my sin of taunting others about winter weather, I must confess that I was really busy Saturday and so I took my oil and filter to a locally owned oil change place and let them do the drain/fill and a state inspection. Only the third time in my life I've let someone else do that to one of my cars, but they do a good job there. Plus while my SRT-8 was in the left bay, a 2011 Camaro SS convertible was in the right bay, a '68 327 Camaro (textbook restoration!) was in line behind me, a '69 Corvette stopped by to gas up next door, and a '67 Cutlass drove by.

I did the rear end drain/fill in my own garage though. Super easy on these new cars- makes me wonder why rear axle drain plugs are such a rarity on older cars. I hate using the suction gun to pull old 90-weight skunk juice out of axle housings- I seem to smell that sulfur additive on my hands for days after doing that job, even if I wear gloves.

32 and snowing sat, but better than the -11F yesterday or -13f coming on thurs night.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Ok, I am down within 400 miles on 2 of my 4 vehicles for the OLM. Its been sub zero here for the last week...am I going to have to actually break down and go to the dealer for the $29.95 5w30 dino bulk oil change? Then suddenly out of nowhere I get the weather forecast and it shows 39F for Saturday
happy2.gif

Saturday no less.....
banana2.gif

Who else is changing oil this weekend?

I saw a future forecast (take it with a grain of salt) that says the next weekend may be even warmer. The Miata may indeed come out of hibernation then!

I've done them when it's 10F out.

Nothing is really due. Only 2k or 3k into a 7500 mile run on the Focus (going for longest run yet!) and the Jeep gets its yearly change in April this year.

Supposed to be close to 30 this Sunday. But still close to (or below) zero all week :S

At that temperature, I would be driving to the dealer for their 79.95 synthetic oil change special if I did not have a shop to work from.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: qdeezie

Well at least you knew someone had been changing the oil on the car.

Definitely. When I changed the timing belt, the engine had varnish, but was otherwise clean.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's all a matter of perspective. We have temps hovering around 0 to -10F, so 39F would feel like a comfortable temperature.

Agree.

From -10F to +39F is 50F different so you feel comfortable, from 85F to 55F is only 30F different but I feel very uncomfortable.

No oil change here, but I will probably go out into the 45*F RAIN on Sunday and wash all of the dried 'salt soup' off of my poor car, and power wash the whole underside.

This will be the first time in a LONG time that water will not instantly freeze solid within a minute, so I'd better get while the gettin's good!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
At that temperature, I would be driving to the dealer for their 79.95 synthetic oil change special if I did not have a shop to work from.

All you people in Cali are spoiled....I wish it would snow for a whole winter there just once...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's all a matter of perspective. We have temps hovering around 0 to -10F, so 39F would feel like a comfortable temperature.

Agree.

From -10F to +39F is 50F different so you feel comfortable, from 85F to 55F is only 30F different but I feel very uncomfortable.

+1 it was -16 this morning....39F is a heat wave

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Oow I did change the oil, yesterday. It was 90F. I sweated a lot!

Thanks a lot pal....
09.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back