OCI for 2012 Toyota Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2012 Toyota Highlander (3.5L) with 26K miles on it. The OCI recommendation is every 10K miles or 1 year. The dealer threw in 2 free oil changes to come at around 36K and 46K miles. They use Toyota 0W20 and a Toyota filter just like they are supposed to. I've seen the maintenance records on this vehicle and prior oil changes were done at around 10K miles, 20K miles and again at around 26K miles when it went onto the used car lot right before I bought it.

So...the previous owner stuck to the 10K mile OCI. It seems like TGMO holds up well. I've just never let a car go that long. I change the oil at 7500 miles on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma and my 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe. I guess I'm trying to make sure that the 10K OCI is safe if they use the correct oil. If not, I suppose I could change it myself at 5K. Thoughts?

So far, in winter I've started doing 5k oil change with 10k filter change (change the filter on the second oil change) All Toyota genuine stuff for filter and oil. my analysis number have come out good.

No problem if not severe service. Any current spec synth in any common weight/grade should have no problem going 10k. If you tow, short trip often... you can cut the interval to 5k ~7.5k. Top off oil as needed and check regularly.

Nah, shouldn't be severe service--and no towing. It will be an easy combination of in-town and highway miles by my wife. I mean, it *will* have short trips only many days of the week, but we should put 10K on it at around 8 month I'd guess.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
So far, in winter I've started doing 5k oil change with 10k filter change (change the filter on the second oil change) All Toyota genuine stuff for filter and oil. my analysis number have come out good.

I do the same on our RX330, but year round (5K on oil and 10K on Fram Ultra Synthetic filters). Works well.

So it is sort of split. Some of you agree that 10K miles is OK, others are saying you prefer to change at least the oil at 5K. I am in Texas if that helps. No harsh winters.

I tried to search around for UOAs of this engine/oil at or around 10K miles and didn't really come up with any. I'll try again. I'm still torn.

I'm bumping this thread back up after a few months to see if anyone else out there has any additional opinions. I'm at about 6500 miles since the last oil change. I have a road trip coming up in July that is about 1500 round trip. I should still be under the 10,000 mile mark for the OCI if I wait to get it changed when I get back. I guess I'm just trying to decide what to do. If I were changing it myself, I'd probably go ahead and do it. However, I have 2 freebies from the dealer and I don't think they'll change it early. They were pretty clear that they would only change it at 10K miles.

Are people generally seeing ok results at 10K miles on these 3.5L engines? Again, it is running TGMO 0W20. Thanks!

If you're sure that it has synthetic in it, you should be safe to 10k. That engine is pretty easy on oil & it has a 6.5 qt sump. I don't know of too many dealers who would use synthetic on a used car oil change, they generally use cheap bulk. Ask to see the service record unless you're positive.

I'm pretty sure. It was a lease vehicle that was maintained at the dealership and I bought it from a Toyota Dealership's lot. I've seen the service records and the sticker on the window shows 0W20. I asked them when I bought it and they said they only used Toyota brand 0w20 oil. I'm reasonably confident that it has 0W20 in it. It also appears "thin" on the dipstick like a 0W20 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back