Magnesium can cause ring sticking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys.
Can Magnesium in Mobil1 AFE 0w-20 and 0w-30 grades cause Piton Ring sticking and piston deposit build up?
Thanks.
Bob.

yes it can, stop using motor oil with magnesium at once or you will be screwed.

this is the first time I have read such a thing, any particular reason you ask that or do you have any supporting research to link?

I have heard that different adds can build up deposits in different ways but I don't recall seeing s comprehensive explanation.

Mg is also in standard M1, http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/mobil1.htm

M1 is the #1 synthetic motor oil used in America, and is known for its cleaning abilities. I doubt it would have been able to maintain its reputation as a top tier oil for this long if it had been causing deposits and ring problems.

Don't get me wrong, stranger things have happened, but I doubt M1's Mg levels are causing ring problems or deposits.

A few weeks ago somebody suggested that moly could cause ring sticking.
I wouldn't worry about ring sticking with Mobil1 or any high moly oil (unless abusively high OCIs are ran.)
The major oil companies (like EM) know what they're doing.

Higher levels of magnesium are usually found more often in diesel oils.

The magnesium in the diesel oil combines with the deposits on exhaust valves making them unstable. These deposits decompose and do not remain in place. The remaining deposits are thinner, allow better valve cooling and help to extend valve life and prevent catastrophic failures.

This was very important work done by Chevron with their RPM oils for applications like emergency power generators with low duty cycles and was important in solving valve problems in certain Detroit Diesel over the road engines.

It's difficult to imagine that higher levels of magnesium would cause ring sticking. If you want to check out a gas engine motor oil with higher than average magnesium levels check out Amsoil.

Chevron was the first oil company to solve the problems of valve deposits in this way lead by J. A. Mc Geehan, W. Alexander, P. R. Ryason, and B. L. Schmidt. You can read their papers on line with a bit of searching.

According to PQIA , Castrol Edge has more mag than calcium in its add pack mixture. Don't seem to recall any Edge / ring sticking posts here tho....

Unless I missed something....

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you want to check out a gas engine motor oil with higher than average magnesium levels check out Amsoil.

I don't think AMSoil uses any Magnesium in their oils. They use boatloads of Calcium instead.

Mobil and Castrol have only begun using Magnesium in their gasoline engine oils in the last 2-3 years, so it may be too soon to gauge if they have any negative effects in SI applications.

Does anybody know if there are differences between the Magnesium detergents used in gasoline oils versus those used in diesel oils?

Huh.......I am glad I read this thread. I have been running Mobil 1, either 5W/30 or 0W/30 exclusively in my old 4 runner for 16 years, and 250k miles. I always thought the rings were in good shape, since it has not burned its first discernible oil. Now I see that it likely doesn't burn any, only because the rings stuck, jammed full of magnesium.

I guess I will change over to non detergent straight 30 weight immediately. I wonder how much I have shortened its life, by not doing it sooner?

Really, where do these ideas come from?

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Hi Guys.
Can Magnesium in Mobil1 AFE 0w-20 and 0w-30 grades cause Piton Ring sticking and piston deposit build up?
Thanks.
Bob.

No.

Hi Guys.
Thanks.
Bob.

Here is a quote from a previous QOTD thread
Quote:
One of a "class" of most widely used additives are the Calcium and Magnesium Sulfonates, and phenates, made by the sulfonization or phenation of alkylbenzenes and base metals, and mixed with dispersed calcium carbonates. These same additives are also used to neutralize acids and prevent corrosion. The sulfonates in the additives surround sludge and other "wornout" hydrocarbons and sweep these "useless" molecules into little communities until drain time. The net effect is to "sweep-and-hold" noncontributing hydrocarbons.

Magnesium Sulfonates are used as detergents and by their very nature should not cause any piston ring sticking or deposit buildup. In fact they should do the exact opposite.

Ok the only reason I brought up this my Friends camry 2AZ-FE engine piston rings stuck in 28000kms, from the day one nothing but Mobil1 0w-30.May be manufacturing defect.2011 model.

May be manufacturing defect.2011 model.

+1, what is his OCI? and also do you guys get the same quality motor oil we do in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back