Ninja 250r owners chime in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the time has come. I'm done with dirt bikes and would like to get a fairly inexpensive bike to ride around town with. Target purchase time is somewhere between June-August. I'm heavily considering a Ninja 250r, 2008 or newer, as they seem to be a very quick bike despite being only a 250, and they seem great for starters. I've had numerous friends get hurt by starting on bikes like the Yamaha R6, or a GSXR 750, so that route isn't an option. I'm not gonna be the guy who pretends he can handle any bike, I want to be smart about it so I don't end up, whats that word? Dead. Not gonna happen. So, to anyone who owns/has owned this bike, what do you think? Open to other suggestions too! Thanks!

While I'm sure the 250 is a fantastic bike, with some dirt bike experience, I wouldn't hesitate to go up to a 500. I started on and still ride my GS500. The older models are naked so you don't have to worry about the plastic when it gets dropped.

Even though its only 100cc different, a 500 is much more beginner friendly than a 600+ sport bike, with less chance of out growing very quickly.

I do like the Ninja 250s. I prefer the old EX250E model to the EX250F that they made forever. Not a lot of experience with the current model though.

It's just a lot of fun to be able to ride 9/10ths and not get into serious trouble. It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow.

I like my rubberband drive 250. I can ride it on most of the freeways here. (not the 80mph speed limits...I have to be WOT on level pavement to see the bike indicate 82mph which is probably about 75) The Ninja 250 is quicker and faster than my "long as an Aspencade" Honda. Of course the Ninja isn't a Barcalounger but it doesn't handle like one either.

I've ridden a few 250 ninjas and I really like them. Plenty fast for street riding, light (easy to flick around in the twisties), and get great mileage. The new ones look very sporty to boot.

I rode a 95 250cc Ninja back when it was new. At 180lbs it pulled me just fine. I was surprised then at how well it ran and I'm sre they've only improved. I wouldn't hesitate.

Being smart is all you need. I started to ride an R1 after having moped experience. I hear the 300 ninjas are very fun. And look nice too.

I had a 2012 Ninja 250 for quite awhile and I loved it and regret selling it. It was comfortable to ride all day. Plenty of practical power that was extremely fun to ride in the corners. If youre not one of those speed hungry riders this can be the first and only bike to own. I now have a Ninja ZX-6 and sure I love it but Id take the Ninja 250 back anyday. My KLX250S although is a fun litte 250 as well but its just not the same.

The 250 Ninja is a great bike for Ankney IA. From what I have seen the aggressive high speed rush hour mentality is pretty much absent there, even Des Moines is nice. I would not ride into Chicago in rush hour, or many major cities, you might not have enough speed reserve. For your area is nice. BTW wear gear, helmet, armor jacket, good boots and gloves MINIMUM.

Have fun

Last edited:
I've always liked the concept of this bike.
I also like the SV650 , the Versys, the Ninja 650 etc...

My first bike was a 1977 Yamaha XS 650 purchased brand new for $1900...it was perfect....big enough to get you out of trouble, big enough to carry 2....yet light enough to handle.

Are these little 250 Ninja motors durable?

The Ninja 300 is where I would look. Just a bit wider powerband than the 250. The 300 is just slightly stroked for better low end and mid range. I rode a 250 for a few years myself. It was economical and reliable (virago 250), but on windy days it really was a chore to ride out in the country on back roads.

You could also look at the Honda CB250/300 series. However I also echo the feelings of the others here in that if you are not just putting around town and want to go on the highways I would look at something like the Honda CB500 or even the Ninja 650. They are VERY mild in terms of power despite being bigger engines. And the added weight will help you, along with the extra torque, in bucking the wind on interstates or back road highways. They are far from a 600cc sports bike in power and are much more forgiving. Essentially they are commuter bikes that look sporty.

I bought a '09 Ninja 250 in August 2013 for use as a track day/race bike. This coming season will be my third. It is a blast and I can put it into my '02 Honda Odyssey by taking off the windscreen.
I also have a '96 Ducati 900 SS/SP for the street. The 250s are reliable as the day is long, parts are easy to come by and gas mileage is outstanding. Plenty to choose from on the used market - get the best one you can find that has been cared for.

RV

Ninja 250s are a riot. I have one right now, with a little mod engine in the works for it. So light and flick able and I'm a light guy so it still is pretty quick. Cheap insurance, and very reliable. No brainer if you ask me

Doesn't matter if build quality is good. GS500's are known to go over 100k in good hands. And they're basically 70's/80's technology with modern QA. Redline starts at 11k RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back