Thoughts on valvoline Motorcycle oil 4t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive ran both versions and they both have synthetic componentry even though only one is labled. There's not a huge difference between the two, spec wise.

I ran it in my Harley a few times. I could tell it sheared quickly. I did run it the full 5k OCI though.

How can you tell that? My 1MZ-FE with gear-driven camshafts will shear oil, but I can't tell it without an analysis.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I ran it in my Harley a few times. I could tell it sheared quickly. I did run it the full 5k OCI though.

So you are saying the reg 4t is pretty much synthetic for bout 4 bucks s quart at walmart?

depends what your using it in + the temperatures you ride in, also what viscosity. looking for cheap many motorcyclist use shell rotella T 15-40 MA rated

I used it in my air cooled Triumph a few times. Dumped it at around 3k when shifting went.

It works and it is cheap, but it is very likely Group III synhetic. If you are using it in a non unit/non shared sump engine, you will likely get more out of it. Be a good big twin or Sportster oil.

I have used it many times in my Harleys and it has done its job everytime. Never had any engine problems with them

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Anyone used the non synthetic verison of this? And thoughts?

Great stuff, you cant go wrong. Been using it for years in my shared sump Vstar 1300. Using HD 360 in my new Road King, simply because its only on its first oil change.
Valvoline products are among the best in the industry, low key company without selling you smoke and mirrors. Their products all test out well, after years of trying oils, the Valvoline 20/50 conventional motorcycle oil held up the best. Not opinion, fact, Valvoline oils all show low wear numbers, all the time, just look in this forums own UOAs...
Here is a link to my own UOA from my Vstar 1300.
Valvoline 20/50 Conventional M/C UOA

Here is a link by AMSOILS own independant lab showing CONVENTIONAL Valvoline 20/50 Motorcycle oil compared against a WHOLE group of Synthetics and the Valvoline came in with the same and better wear numbers then most of the synthetics. Pretty impressive at $4.00 a quart in some Walmarts.(I mean, its wear we care about, right?)
Again, just check this forums own UOAs posted, Valvoline comes up at the top, in wear.
Check page 13 and 15, showing Conventional Valvoline against all these "boutique oils"
Amsoil White Papers

Again, I am not saying Valvoline is the best product in the world or if I will even use it in my Harley (most likely will but who knows), I am saying, its a really good sturdy oil. Im not so sure any company can prove they have the best product in the world, but Valvoline is one of the companies whose products you can trust, lets face it, now a days most oils are more similar then not. \With Valvoline you get good prices.
Im not a big believer in boutique oils, except Amsoil, because Amsoil shows you test results to back their claims and their products test out well. Its not smoke and mirrors like other high profile boutique oils.

Last edited:
This was posted a few weeks back, and the discussion was about Castrol GTX oil, not 4t oil. "While it did not blow/lock up my motor.
it did it no favors either".

worst susvis start to end change of all my tests.
worst wear metals produced of all my tests.

great oils dont shear
good oils will barely shear into the next grade.
gtx went from a 50 to a 30.

imho, not worth picking off the shelf to put in a shopping cart to pay for.

you could pick worse i guess..water or milk or orange juice for your crankcase.

Edited by sunruh (12/09/14 02:17 PM)

Last edited:
i tested the valvoline 20w50 motorcycle specfic
INSOLUBLES: .3%
WATER: 0.0%
ANTIFREEZE: 0.0%
FUEL: FLASHPOINT IN F: 420
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 F: 82.3
the clutch was VERY grabby with this oil and i did *NOT* like it at all.

83.1101 is required for 50wt, so it is out of grade. in 75miles.

i vividly remember how grabby the clutch was with this oil. i wanted to dump it 50 feet from the truck. hated it the entire time it was in the bike. it was totally and completely this oil as the next batch in was quaker state20w50 high horsepower and it was not grabby at all.

I use the Valvoline Vr1 20w50 racing oil in my old Harley, mainly because it is highly recommended here and on several Harley forums. IIRC Sunruh liked it as well.

vr1 20w50 is major good stuff!!!
it was a super mega bargin at $2 a quart.
it is definately in my top5 on both overall and bang per buck.

I'll agree with sunruh that the oil definitely feels like it grabs the clutch, but my experience was a good one and what I thought it should be, for me it wasn't an extreme, bikes may be different. I liked the solid feel of the clutch engaging so much it became my oil of choice in the vstar 1300 and possible why it may be my oil of choice in the primary of the HD, knowing the clutch is firmly engaged with this oil and not going to slip because of any oil issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
If I recall, sunruh had a bad experience with it as far as shearing quickly.

No, he didnt.

I believe shearing out of grade in 75 miles qualifies as a bad experience. Are you a Valvoline salesman?

a LOT (call it most) of the oils i have tested do shear out of grade in 75 miles in my bike. why it was labled - The Mix Master of DOOM!
lol

a 20w50 that is at 82.3 is still way better than a 10w40 that is at 58.3 (30wt is 56.79). especially if say its 105F outside.

now is this 82.3 better than say a certain purple colored 20w50 oil that was 79.4 at the end of my test? UH YEAH! or what about that pelican wiz 20w50 that finished with 70.6

Originally Posted By: sunruh
vr1 20w50 is major good stuff!!!
it was a super mega bargin at $2 a quart.
it is definately in my top5 on both overall and bang per buck.

I'm wondering if you could list your top 5 motorcycle oils?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back