Is it me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
How does that work? If I create an online shipping label, I don't see an option for putting in an origin of shipping other than my location. If I create a shipping label here for shipping from SF to NYC, I will have to ship from SF to NYC, I can't ship from Reno to NYC.

hotwheels

You basically don't get it. A corporate account is different than an individual account. A business could just use one account and have locations all over the country.

Some people just don't get IT.

I suppose I was never initiated into the details of how corporate accounts work. I apologize for being so frightfully uneducated.

Your explanation is lacking, though, because it merely states that the way it is is the way it is. Brilliant. Thanks for your polite reply anyway. I would expect a shipping label to reflect the location where the item is posted. That that's in actuality is not the case may well be so, but I still have not heard an explanation how and why it works the way it does.

hotwheels

I spent 10 years in IT (information technology). There's lot of reasons why things are done they way they are done. After a while you get used to it. There wasn't nothing really wrong with what you posted. Your expectations just didn't match up with how business is done which I attribute to a lack of business experience. For you to really get it would probably require you to work in corporate IT for a few years. Otherwise the answer that it's the way it is will have to do. You should see what SAP consultants get when designing corporate systems.

Basically your thinking is limited to the local level when you're looking at a system at the corporate level.

I suppose I was never initiated into the details of how corporate accounts work. I apologize for being so frightfully uneducated.

Your explanation is lacking, though, because it merely states that the way it is is the way it is. Brilliant. Thanks for your polite reply anyway. I would expect a shipping label to reflect the location where the item is posted. That that's in actuality is not the case may well be so, but I still have not heard an explanation how and why it works the way it does.

hotwheels

Basically your expectations don't match up to reality. The person could generate the label in NV, but you can have a printer in Framingham that prints out the label. Or there could be a person who prints out the label in Framingham but uses the corporate account which has a registered location of NV. There are many ways this could have been set up. Without knowing exactly how their IT structure is set up, it's going to hard to explain to you exactly how this happens, however it's very common and nothing to be alarmed at or concerned about. Just how business is done.

And yet another option may be that the company uses the NV address in case a package is returned as being undeliverable. This way it would go to one, central location where people could better control investigating and reshipping vs. it going back to the original warehouse which is probably more concerned with shipments going out and not returns. As Wolf359 says, without knowing the internals of the company, it's hard to say exactly why the setup is as it is. As long as you get the package, don't sweat the rest.
grin.gif

USPS tracking isn't of much help until it's "out for delivery. But yes, it was never in Vegas in this case.

DHL is the absolute worst!

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
USPS tracking isn't of much help until it's "out for delivery. But yes, it was never in Vegas in this case.

DHL is the absolute worst!

Well, according to tracking, the package arrived back in Las Vegas last night, but the expected delivery date is still tomorrow.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: dishdude
If the default ship from address on the account is setup as Las Vegas, anytime someone logs into the account and generates a new label and doesn't take the time to update that address, USPS is going to assume it's shipping from that address as that is the only information the Post Office has at the time the tracking number is generated.

Once the package is picked up or dropped off at the Post Office and the label is scanned, tracking updates since that it the first time the Post Office learns the package isn't actually in Las Vegas. The customer's account will be billed accordingly.

That explanation seems plausible to me. I do wonder if the fact that the package is now , after its circuitous route, is actually in Las Vegas is purely coincidental. I presume, Las Vegas is a USPS hub, but I don't know, because I don't have any professional experience in the transport of goods (or IT).

hotwheels

I'm not holding my breath just yet.

hotwheels

"The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94188 on February 15, 2015 at 11:09 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

My aforementioned package arrived Friday. Shipped on Monday from Ohio and delivered Friday in N.C. I'm a satisfied customer, for a shipping cost of only $5.

February 16, 2015 , 12:07 pm

Arrived at Hub
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124
Your item arrived at the Hub at 12:07 pm on February 16, 2015 in SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124.

So far they are only two days behind the expected delivery date. With a little luck it will be out for delivery tomorrow. I once had a domestic package go to Canada, then to Puerto Rico before arriving a month late.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back