microsoft windows and car seat belts

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i go buy a new car, there is really nothing i need to buy afterwards to make that car do what it's suppose to do, be reliable, and be safe. For instance I don't need to have seat belts installed in the car, the manufacturer did that among other things to make it a safe car.

why is it then when you get a new computer with microsoft windows, let's say versions 7 and later I'll be nice and give XP and vista a pass, that you have to go out and basically purchase nowadays an antivirus program to be "effectively" protected when using the computer?

i'm surprised that this loop hole or double standard is allowed to persist and not be acknowledged, especially nowadays with computers controlling everything and the significant impact of computer crimes. I also don't quite understand how folks like McAfee and Norton who write antivirus software can be viewed as experts regarding the subject when it's running on top of the Windows operating system. You would think the folks at Microsoft who design and implement the Windows operating system would know best how to fix, prevent, and close the issue of virus's entirely, since they are the ones who are writing the code and know what it does.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
if i go buy a new car, there is really nothing i need to buy afterwards to make that car do what it's suppose to do, be reliable, and be safe. For instance I don't need to have seat belts installed in the car, the manufacturer did that among other things to make it a safe car.

Modern cars are already susceptible to hacking. Pretty soon you'll be buying an antivirus for your car, too.
smile.gif

Along the same vein, the term "computer virus" has been accepted in the media when it really means "Windows virus"

In fairness, an accurate characterization of what platforms are impacted would be appreciated. Only then will people start wondering what exactly they are paying for.

let's say versions 7 and later I'll be nice and give XP and vista a pass

I should certainly hope that no one is still complaining about Windows XP... it came out in 2001 and it's End of Life was almost a year ago. It's a 14 year old system! Even Vista is already over 8 years old. And although Windows 7 is still a viable desktop operating system, mainstream support ended for it a month ago. We're on Windows 8 now, and Windows 10 will be coming out in the near future.

All that being said, Windows XP had Windows Defender available. Vista and 7 both came with Windows Defender out of the box. The more-capable Microsoft Security Essentials could be added to XP, Vista, and 7 at no charge and with just a few clicks. And in Windows 8, Microsoft Security Essentials was rebranded as Windows Defender (read: Windows 8 has full-fledged antivirus out of the box).

The question is, would you buy a car and be irritated that you had to put gas in it? How about oil changes - do you complain to the OEM when your oil gets dirty?

If you want a turnkey computer, buy a Mac.

If you want a really secure computer, install Linux.

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for years. Not a single virus on my Windows 7 computer. It is free from Microsoft. I don't think you have to go out and buy an anti virus program.
Recently I loaded Linux Mint 17.1 on that same machine with dual boot. They are both good operating systems, but the Linux Mint is free.

Last edited:
Gates once said nobody would pay for bug fixes. That's still true as far as I can tell.

Most of time what you and your neighbors buy is what a seller sells, so if you all would only buy an OS with AV then it would be for sale today.

And, if you want a really secure computer install OpenBSD, not Linux.

You would think the folks at Microsoft who design and implement the Windows operating system would know best how to fix, prevent, and close the issue of virus's entirely, since they are the ones who are writing the code and know what it does.

By this logic, doctors would know best how to fix, prevent, and close the issue of disease, since they are the ones who are interfacing with the sick and know what it does.

What you are suggesting, expecting that Microsoft (or anyone for that matter) can create an OS immune to exploitation, is that Toyota should be expected to build a car that is death-proof, no matter the situation, since they're the ones designing it.

If it weren't for criminals, we wouldn't need locks. Maybe builders should be tasked with creating a criminal-proof home without the use of locks? I mean, the house otherwise functions just fine without a lock, right?

Microsoft got in big trouble when they included their own web browser back in the 90's. I don't think they can pre-install anti-virus software on say an Asus laptop purchased from best Buy?

why is it then when you get a new computer with microsoft windows, let's say versions 7 and later I'll be nice and give XP and vista a pass, that you have to go out and basically purchase nowadays an antivirus program to be "effectively" protected when using the computer?

Simple - don't buy a computer with Microsoft Windows!

Apple makes nice stuff, starting at $499, and generally virus free. Never needed it in the 13 years I've been a Mac user.

Linux is an alternative if you want to build your own and also generally virus free.

Yes, any computer can get a nasty virus and common sense needs to prevail but you can do a lot to protect yourself by using systems that are generally immune to it in the first place.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
You would think the folks at Microsoft who design and implement the Windows operating system would know best how to fix, prevent, and close the issue of virus's entirely, since they are the ones who are writing the code and know what it does.

By this logic, doctors would know best how to fix, prevent, and close the issue of disease, since they are the ones who are interfacing with the sick and know what it does.

What you are suggesting, expecting that Microsoft (or anyone for that matter) can create an OS immune to exploitation, is that Toyota should be expected to build a car that is death-proof, no matter the situation, since they're the ones designing it.

i disagree. doctors didn't create the disease, nor did they create the human body they only work on it.

i realize microsoft or anyone writing software can't make it immune,
but microsoft has patch tuesday every month, that has been going on for how many years now rolling out fix after fix after fix. if you had fix your car every tuesday of the month... you'd probably claim lemon law and turn it back in.

and the gas and dirty oil analogy doesn't work either, those are more maintenance items. with antivirus i'm talking about fundamental flaw in the operating system, that results in significant harm from a threat resulting in monetary loss and data loss. your oil gets dirty, the car does not stop running or drive itself off the road, you have a timeframe you can perform that maintenance. in computers maybe some software doesn't work so you uninstall it or get a patch from the vendor but the software bug doesn't open you up to a hacker attack the most it does is pop up saying program has stopped responding and worst case is you reboot.
I'm just surprised when you think about it, how complacent people are regarding microsoft windows. planned obsolescence i guess.

Originally Posted By: TTK
I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for years. Not a single virus on my Windows 7 computer. It is free from Microsoft. I don't think you have to go out and buy an anti virus program.

Perhaps somebody needs to tell that to Microsoft.

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

Microsoft has "admitted Windows users should install antivirus above and beyond its own Security Essentials."

ford, gm, toyota... admitted drivers of their cars should install parts above and beyond their oem parts.

There are people who are actively trying to find new ways to break your computer. Every single day, new viruses are created to do exactly that. If they spent every day trying to find new ways to break our cars, we'd spend significantly more time repairing and securing our vehicle than we currently do.

I think the whole analogy of cars vs computers is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back