Few more feet coming down on New England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Going to be 84-86 here this week with a 0% chance of rain (as usual). Have had the air conditioning on in the house for the past week. Actually forgot to click it on today and it got all the way up to 76 inside, much too warm. A/C cranked all the way down to 73
wink.gif

The obligatory smug comment. But you're right. I wish I lived in a place where the dust storms were so bad it looked to be the end of the world. And the car handle and steering wheel gives you third degree burns in the summer.

What are you going to do when the ground water is all gone?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Going to be 84-86 here this week with a 0% chance of rain (as usual). Have had the air conditioning on in the house for the past week. Actually forgot to click it on today and it got all the way up to 76 inside, much too warm. A/C cranked all the way down to 73
wink.gif

The obligatory smug comment. But you're right. I wish I lived in a place where the dust storms were so bad it looked to be the end of the world. And the car handle and steering wheel gives you third degree burns in the summer.

I never said Phoenix is all that great. We have a short window of good weather, and that short window is about over.

And we don't really have a problem with water here.

wink.gif

I never said Phoenix is all that great. We have a short window of good weather, and that short window is about over.

Nick...the weather in your area does indeed get harsh in the summer. But...have you ever experienced a muggy, suffocating, east coast summer?

While the heat in Arizona in the summer often is in triple digits....it's not nearly as difficult to deal with as high humidity and 80 plus degrees. Trust me.

We won't even compare winters....we all know Arizona wins that one. But spring and fall? I'd give the easterners the nod for beautiful fall weather. Spring is a toss-up.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
wink.gif

Nick...the weather in your area does indeed get harsh in the summer. But...have you ever experienced a muggy, suffocating, east coast summer?

While the heat in Arizona in the summer often is in triple digits....it's not nearly as difficult to deal with as high humidity and 80 plus degrees. Trust me.

We won't even compare winters....we all know Arizona wins that one. But spring and fall? I'd give the easterners the nod for beautiful fall weather. Spring is a toss-up.
Its easy for people to say that since we have a dry heat and its not too bad. But when you have humidity and its 90 degrees, but with the humidity it "feels like" 105 degrees. The thing is, we have the ACTUAL 105 degrees. Sometimes 115 degrees. I've been in Chicago in July during mega humid days and Arkansas during July as well. Yeah, it sucked but it wasn't as bad as Phoenix IMO. Have you ever tried to mow a lawn in 115 degrees? I have. We can bake cookies on the dash of cars literally. The news station does it every year. The sidewalks are 180 degrees.

^ I had a vacation home south of Phoenix for a few years. I really didn't have any problems with the heat. But....no, I would not mow a lawn in 115 degree heat.

I did do a good amount of hiking in it though. Just drank plenty of water and I was very careful to know when my body needed rest or shade.

I guess we have different opinions on the types of heat we prefer.

Phoenix is like an oven...New England is like a steam oven.

Where I live...Seattle...is mild 90% of the time, winter, spring, summer, fall. But you can't mind clouds or you'll go nuts.

I do feel for you guys there. We had a narrow band of lake effect snow basically shut down a part of our area after 6-8 feet of snow on the level over a couple days. Several houses and barn roofs collapsed. National guard was called in to help clear snow. After a certain point, where do you put it? Many intersections are a hazard now because the snow is piled high enough to hinder visibility. Wind chills here tomorrow are -20 to -30 degrees F. Screw global warming. Have a Seafoam weekend on some old engines and make your own clouds of white.

Feel good knowing you WILL get through this, while other people complain when 2" of snow falls or it was too hot and sunny to mow the lawn. Grab a large coffee and laugh at the snow (before you shovel again...), instead of sipping a Starbuck's whining about "it's so misty and humid this morning". Hardy weather for hardy people. Hang in there buddy.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Enough already :-( It has been relentless. Can't they blow up a nuke up in the sky and evaporate those pesky clouds filled with snow?

Expected to get couple more feet over the five feet which have got in the last 16 days.

My son is in college in Cambridge, MA. I keep getting weather updates, including a BLIZZARD WARNING a few minutes ago...

Sheesh!

Among his other presents for Christmas, I got him under armor coldgear, Goretex boots and lined khakis from Edie Bauer...good thing....

Over 90" in three week period; And still more is coming. It seems as if there is bull eye painted on our county. We count the snow in feet these days. I need to find somebody to blame this upon.

I spent the afternoon blowing snow. The Rat and the 528e are buried. But the DDs, the Camry and my work van are set to go. The temps were in the high teens. Windy too. The Chonda powered Ariens is getting it done.
grin2.gif

Sounds warm there. It was maybe 15 tops when I was working this morning; was like 7 when I went to get sand this afternoon. Snowblower belt quit but luckily the guy down the street has a front end loader and did my driveway for me. Still did like four hours of shoveling.

Some pics from friends of ours on the East coast today:

1. New Brunswick (Moncton, and yes, that's my old Town Car):
NB_Snow01.jpg

2. Nova Scotia (Amherst):
Nova_Scotia01.jpg

And it is apparently still coming down.

If it makes you feel any better we had almost 1mm of snow today...but it melted when it hit the ground as we have had well above freezing temps for a week now.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
If it makes you feel any better we had almost 1mm of snow today...but it melted when it hit the ground as we have had well above freezing temps for a week now.
Send some of that to Ontario please.

Its easy for people to say that since we have a dry heat and its not too bad. But when you have humidity and its 90 degrees, but with the humidity it "feels like" 105 degrees. The thing is, we have the ACTUAL 105 degrees. Sometimes 115 degrees. I've been in Chicago in July during mega humid days and Arkansas during July as well. Yeah, it sucked but it wasn't as bad as Phoenix IMO. Have you ever tried to mow a lawn in 115 degrees? I have. We can bake cookies on the dash of cars literally. The news station does it every year. The sidewalks are 180 degrees.

I've worked outside "rather" comfortably in 108 with no humidity and a light breeze. I've also been to the Florida Keys at 90 degrees and almost 100% humidity. Florida was worse, hands down.

That said, sorry guys

Last edited:
The 4' fence around my garden is no longer visible now after yesterdays's 20" snow storm in coastal NH.

Its brutal today with 11F coupled to 30MPH winds that occasioanally gusts higher.

This is what scares me the most when it warms up if the ice and water shield does not work on roof. I shoveled what I can its high and very steep roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back