Car cant breath after thermostate change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Yesterday I changed Oil, ATF , and thermostate ( it was stuck open) on my 2000 accord and the car starts but feels like being choked.

I checked all the stuff I removed ( MAP hose, Water bypass hose, two connection on the intake) and it was all right by diagram i got from ALLDATA.

Connecting my phone to the OBD it shows everything normal except the trottle is staying at 5.5% no matter what. I am even able to get the rpm to ~2500 range then it just falls and stalls.

Should I assume wire shorting? The wires were horribly placed so I wouldn't be surprised.

car has 130k on it.

Thanks

Last edited:
THe throttle staying at 5.5%? Check your throttle position sensor? Not sure about this one. Yes I would check for shorting of wires. Ziptie them up wherever you can to prevent shortage. Maybe check for bare wires too. Wrap them in electrical tape.

Great job diagnosing the problem, but I guess that's why you're the Voltmaster.

Yes, maybe you damaged the TPS wires when you were working under the hood. The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I was fixing a coolant leak and accidentally pulled a wire out of the connector.

Besides shorts, it could also be a break. Sometimes this is just a pin backed out of a connector, so check all of them. Other times it is a wire break inside a wiring harness- no fun, that.

But check all the easy stuff first, swapped connectors, loose wires.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Two possibilities I see:

1. You have the connectors for the TPS and MAP sensors swapped.

2. You did not reconnect the ground connector to the thermostat housing.

Didn't know you could swap wires in vehicles nowadays. I thought all plugs were different especially in a 2003 GMC Safari there is no plug that is the same pretty fool proof if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: LX289

Didn't know you could swap wires in vehicles nowadays. I thought all plugs were different especially in a 2003 GMC Safari there is no plug that is the same pretty fool proof if you ask me.

TPS and MAP, as well as IAT and IACV can be accidentally swapped on many Honda cars up until 2002 or so.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Originally Posted By: LX289

TPS and MAP, as well as IAT and IACV can be accidentally swapped on many Honda cars up until 2002 or so.

Yep, Honda was one of the best/worst for this. There's been more than one time I've had to fix a car that another mech has swapped connectors on when he had something apart.

Get yourself a bottle of liquid electrical tape. Makes sealing chafed or shorting connections a breeze. Keeps the weather out as well.

FYI, when I use the Torque app through the obd it always shows some % of throttle when I'm off the throttle. I think it's normal.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
FYI, when I use the Torque app through the obd it always shows some % of throttle when I'm off the throttle. I think it's normal.

True, but it would change if you applied throttle via the gas pedal. This statement: "the OBD it shows everything normal except the trottle is staying at 5.5% no matter what" leads me to believe it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back