Accident - Diesel Engine Oil in CVT Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!
smile.gif

My tractor is a New Holland Boomer 3050 Diesel.
The engine oil is Ambra Master Gold SAE10W30, I believe I have the 15W40 version.
The transmission oil is Ambra Multi G134 which is a 10w30 weight I believe.

I accidentally put 250ml of 10w30 Tractor Diesel Engine Oil into the Transmission which takes 40 Litres of Multi G transmission fluid.

Will the additives in the diesel ruin my tractor, do I need to drain and replace the transmission fluid by only putting a small amount in. I realised the viscosity was wrong as I was pouring it.

Picked up the wrong bottle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I wouldnt worry about it. You are talking about 0.625% of the total amount of oil.

Never mind, I made a mistake

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I wouldnt worry about it. You are talking about 0.625% of the total amount of oil.

Your decimal is off. The percentage of oil that was put in is really small.

250 ml = 8.5 oz
40 l = 1352.5 oz

.00628%

No, his decimal was in the right place. Take your number x100 to find percentage.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: 6starprez

Your decimal is off. The percentage of oil that was put in is really small.

250 ml = 8.5 oz
40 l = 1352.5 oz

.00628%

No, his decimal was in the right place. Take your number x100 to find percentage.

Only on bitog...
grin.gif

Hydraulic fluid is somewhat similar to ATF. A friend of mine builds hi performance automatic trannies. He actually recommends using 25% motor oil in these trannies.

(Hey.....I did not say I thought it was a good idea.)

They seem to last just fine. So......Less than 1% motor oil in tractor hydraulic fluid would not even be noticed.

When I think of all the ATF that I have seen go in place of motor oil, over the years, I cannot work up much concern at all.

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies guys. As someone above said, I called the oil manufacturers, and then another firm for a second opinion.

The Petronas tech guy who makes New Holland Multi G said I would have to drain and replace the lot as it's incompatible with components in the tractor transmission, I asked why, he said to do with the additives.

Another company said it wouldn't matter at all, great, just what I needed to help me decide. 2x 20l drums of Multi G is £168 currently... from the other company about £100 for 40l. So it's an expensive mistake for me.

The Transmission fluid powers (multi g):
- Front Loader
- CVT (probably the hydraulic motor that spins the transmission)
- Power Steering
- Rear Implements attached to the Remote Spool valves.

Link to NH Parts store, Im trying to work out what the oil comes into contact with.
http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr53154ag10098

So, I feel like the tech guy is saying that 250ml is going to some how infect or ruin the other 40,000ml (tbh it's missing about 3-5 litres due to a hose issue again on the remote spool) of oil? Is there a specific additive that will damage it? Or is, the the 250ml of engine oil going to damage seals or parts inside the tractor through contact?

I heard there was a diesel engine oil which is corrosive to a certain type of anodizing or component rust protection.

I accidentally used ISO36 in the transmission earlier in the year, and tbh, the tractor performed better, it felt tight when driving it, the loader was the same.

I'm not sure how the

When you hooked up your hydraulic implements they had oil in them, that probably was not the same as your sump. No harm was done.

Rod

Originally Posted By: CT8
CVT or hydrostatic trans.

CVT Easysteer.

Although, is the CVT driven by hydraulics? I noticed, if you put the loader under max pressure, so it can't lift, you also can't move the tractor?

I looked the tractor up, it has wet brakes and a wet clutch for the pto.

The diesel oil has lots of cleaning additives, so I'm wondering if it's going to be a good or bad thing for my tractor. Even in a small amount.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
When you hooked up your hydraulic implements they had oil in them, that probably was not the same as your sump. No harm was done.

Rod

I put ISO36 hydraulic oil in there by accident for about 20 hours, probably 50/50, and I had no problems. In fact everything was tigher and more precise, even the loader lifted quicker.

But the guy at the dealership said I would ruin the tractor if I didn't remove it. I only used that because the tractor had a massive hose split, and it was below the low mark after i realised and stopped the leak, and thought it would be better to have a lubricant than none at all.

So, but, I have since flushed it all out and replaced with Multi G...until I made this mistake.

I heard some tractors have 2x different oils, but as the tractor ages, oil from the engine can enter the transmission due to failing seals.

The tractor is in 9/10 nick, so I don't want to risk it if there's a valid reason not to do it. Only 1x person has told me to take it out, and that's the company that makes both oils. Are they just saying that to cover their arses.

I read up on the tractor. It does have a CVT. I shopped for a new tractor [2004] and ended up getting a John Deere 4310 for the only reason of the dealer was less annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back