Is Motorcraft Gold made by Zerex (Valvoline)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time to change the coolant in my FX4; is the subject title correct? Also, anything special that needs to be done to dump and fill? Last, but not least, I see that Chrysler products use a red colored version of G05, anything wrong with using that (for better visability), provided I dump the gold?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
It is time to change the coolant in my FX4; is the subject title correct? Also, anything special that needs to be done to dump and fill? Last, but not least, I see that Chrysler products use a red colored version of G05, anything wrong with using that (for better visability), provided I dump the gold?

No, G-05 is G-05, the color doesn't matter. As long as it is made to spec by a reputable company I would have no worry about it.
The Chrysler product is probably made by BASF under the trade name
Glysantin. BASF and Glysantin names are literally house hold names in the automotive coolant business over in the rest of the world.

The Zerex G05 should be the cheapest/best option since you can shop around and order from multiple places. I think I got my last two gallons off Amazon.

I've taken Zerex G-05 and put a squirt of red food coloring in it for better visibility (doesn't take much, about a tablespoon of coloring for 2 gallons makes a nice red much like the Mopar G-05 coolant).

I figured that even if the tablespoon of color turned to muck, it would be so little that it wouldn't hurt anything. Turns out that 3 years later, the coolant is still a nice transparent red. Makes me more concerned about EATING red food coloring than putting it in my coolant. :p

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've taken Zerex G-05 and put a squirt of red food coloring in it for better visibility (doesn't take much, about a tablespoon of coloring for 2 gallons makes a nice red much like the Mopar G-05 coolant).

I figured that even if the tablespoon of color turned to muck, it would be so little that it wouldn't hurt anything. Turns out that 3 years later, the coolant is still a nice transparent red. Makes me more concerned about EATING red food coloring than putting it in my coolant. :p

The Zerex G05 is what color in the bottle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back