Looking for oil recommendation on 2002 Saturn Vue

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Saturn Vue Ecotec 4 cylinder/manual trans. Low mileage engine that I installed which doesn't use any oil.

Any one that has driven a manual trans Vue will know what I'm talking about. These things are geared very low. 62 mph is around 2800 RPMs, and god forbid you go on the expressway. Its all good though because the gearing is what allows the 4 cylinder to have enough grunt to pull a small trailer around so it really is a perfect vehicle for me.

All that said though, at least in my mind, it really seems critical to get the proper oil to minimize losses when revving that high at cruise RPM.. much more than another car that cruises at a far lower RPM.

Living in Wisconsin we obviously have very cold weather (was -7 when I got up today) so that would be a factor.

So ultimately I'm looking for lowest losses from a high winding cruise RPM, and I will be using it to tow from time to time. I already have Royal purple synchromx in the transmission.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The cheapest oil that meets dexos standards.

With OLM cars, I like to use the cheapest synthetic and run it to the suggested OCI.

Pep Boys has Edge and PP on sale this week (includes Purolator Classic), plus a $10 rebate. However, there may be a slightly higher charge since you have a cartridge filter, but even with that factored in, you still have a great price due to that rebate.

AAP has a good deal on Havoline Synthetic. $22.99 with a Chinese Driveworks, or for $4 more you can replace it with a P1 (price difference higher than usual because of the cartridge).

Napa Synthetic is on sale for $3.79/qt. If you go this route, pick up your filter at Walmart (either the Puro Classic or Fram Ultra--both of them have no cartridge filter tax for your applications)

Napa would be less than $20 a jug. I might pick some of that up.

Ecotec 2.2 is spec'd to use 5w30, 0w30 would be maybe better in -7 weather.

Dexos 5w30 oils like the ones above are recommending are probably good enough. If you want to take things further, oil stability can be measured by an oil's HTHS and NOACK which are found in an oil's product data sheet. For a really, really stable oil, you can either get a thicker oil (Rotella T6 5w40) or you can get a more expensive oil (Red Line 5w30, Amsoil 5w30). If you don't want to spend that much, Mobil1 0w30 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 will work for what you want

50/50 mix of Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 and Castrol Edge (gold bottle) 5W-30.

Good cold behavior from the first, outstanding oil on the second...

Mobil 1 0w40 will cover you at low temps flow and will do fine with the higher revving and trailer hauling. Go get it at Wal Mart

MY_FYN_79: We would recommend our Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology. PurePlus Technology is our patented, revolutionary gas-to-liquid process which converts natural gas into a base oil with lower friction, better low temperature properties and greater stability than conventional motor oil made from crude. Taking into account your cold weather concerns, this full synthetic product provides faster low temperature oil flow (while still being able to protect your engine at its higher operating temperatures)! - The Pennzoil Team

Stick with Royal Purple. Go with the HPS series that contains synerlec. Or, if you have more than 75k miles or so, go with the HMX series. These are both some, if not the, best commercial oils on the market and will be more than able to handle the conditions you have described. You could use anything, but these would be your best options. No other off the shelf oils can compete. Just my two cents there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back