BMW Service is insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lease a 2013 320i with Xdrive. BMW pays for the service. My car just hit 9,000 miles about a year and a half after the in service date. I got an email from the company dealer telling me to come in for a one-year oil change. The manufacturer calls for 14,000 miles or whatever the service indicator says.

I get the service done and the car is handed back to me. I read the bill and see that they have changed the wiper blades (good), performed a recall involving grommets (okay) .

Lastly, they have flushed, filled and bled the braking system.

No oil change.

I went back in. After a back-and-forth, they asked if I wanted my oil change. They performed the service (BMW 5W30 Syn) and sent me on my way. They refused to reset my service indicator because BMW would not let them. They told me to come back for oil when the indicator says so.

Just adding to the mix, for the identical 2014 model, the manufacturer has dropped to 10,000 miles.

I should note that the dealer was pleasant, personable and tried to explain their positions. I have new oil in the sump and am not out one penny.

But I don't get a world where brake fluid is changed before the first oil change. I also feel that BMW has not communicated clearly on the OCI's most appropriate for their cars.

Yeah brake fluid before oil is sort of odd. I'm not getting it though.... I bought a 2011 135i in July of 2010. I did one change myself like 1200 miles in, and after that did them on the year. My dealer did them yearly per bmw, and any other services were done per schedule.

The dealer's computer pushed ahead a two-year brake fluid requirement based on the car's in service date. But I am pretty sure that brake fluid reco is actuall 4 or 5 years.

Is there a time limit? Many OLM cars have a one-year limit. That is, if the indicator doesn't come on after a year, you need service.

The BMW dealer isn't the NSA. They don't know how much driving you do or how many miles you put on or what kind of miles, either. They only see that you never brought the car in for service after a year and a half. Therefore, they just want to find out why you never went in.

Poorly-maintained cars, especially European cars, often have expensive problems later on.

Mercedes does their brake fluid every 2 years also. Makes sense as brake fluid can absorb moisture and that moisture will eventually rust out your brake lines.

The oil change isn't that big a deal. You should see the interval they use in Europe. Sounds like you're not driving enough on that lease unless you intend to buy it afterwards.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Is there a time limit? Many OLM cars have a one-year limit. That is, if the indicator doesn't come on after a year, you need service.
The BMW dealer isn't the NSA. They don't know how much driving you do or how many miles you put on or what kind of miles, either. They only see that you never brought the car in for service after a year and a half. Therefore, they just want to find out why you never went in.

Poorly-maintained cars, especially European cars, often have expensive problems later on.

Nothing happens at the one year point

money pits always have been owned two and learned like range rover and mercedes that they just are not worth it. Save them for the show offs that work two jobs at burger king.

The more electronic and over engineered BMWs become the more the bills rise... and the raw performance experience lowers.

The problem lies in the bean counters, the de-tuned race era of the 90's is gone and they appear to be in it for the sales numbers now.

Where is the, THERE'S NO CUP HOLDERS BECAUSE THIS CAR IS NOT A ROLLING SOFA YOU LAZY AMERICAN SCUM!? The soul the old German cars had is gone, call it the clarkson theory, but the x factor is slipping from BMW's grip as the years move forward.

Originally Posted By: Lead Shoes
Where is the, THERE'S NO CUP HOLDERS BECAUSE THIS CAR IS NOT A ROLLING SOFA YOU LAZY AMERICAN SCUM!?

The number of skinny and non-lazy Americans has greatly diminished over the years, so to stay in business BMW had to adapt to this changing market by tailoring to the obese and lazy.

I am only half joking.

It is true however, consider Honda's attempts to reconnect with the tuner community recently, there is a fine line between Americanizing a product and purifying a platform. Brands are starting to recognize the strength within marketing a platform that is the middle ground between the two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
money pits always have been owned two and learned like range rover and mercedes that they just are not worth it. Save them for the show offs that work two jobs at burger king.

A most eloquent and incisive analysis! I've owned nine and currently run four. The running costs are so bad that I couldn't retire until I was 51. Maybe I can get a job at the local DQ to keep me out of Chapter 7...
19.gif

The more electronic and over engineered BMWs become the more the bills rise... and the raw performance experience lowers.

The problem lies in the bean counters, the de-tuned race era of the 90's is gone and they appear to be in it for the sales numbers now.

Where is the, THERE'S NO CUP HOLDERS BECAUSE THIS CAR IS NOT A ROLLING SOFA YOU LAZY AMERICAN SCUM!? The soul the old German cars had is gone, call it the clarkson theory, but the x factor is slipping from BMW's grip as the years move forward.

I used to think the cars were nice, just didn't like the people who drove them.... Now BMW is like some LUXURY brand... whatever.

I love my Club Sport and '02, but the only new BMWs that I would want to own are the M235i, the M3/4, and the Alpina B6. Everything else bores me to tears.

I spent the same as one would on a swapped civic of the same era on my BMW, the labor is of love, the base may not be the best but the power and handling when well kept is more than worth the price. Even in college when only blood sweat and tears keep you tight with your money, I still spend on the car because it is worth it, few others can say the same justifiably about their platform.

There is more honor and status to be gained by buying a newer BMW but I chose to buy my car out of dreams not a yearn for respect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Thank you for providing this opinion, I really like the car, but now I know what's going on.

What? How does this pertain to the question on the table?
Originally Posted By: MCompact

I love my Club Sport and '02, but the only new BMWs that I would want to own are the M235i, the M3/4, and the Alpina B6. Everything else bores me to tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back